translate

Tuesday 29 January 2013

THE DIARY OF LITTLE WAGGATAIL


29 Jan 2013

Gosh what a couple of days? Yesterday Waggatail and I did our first walk on our own without sighted guide/help.

Hub came with his white cane. Long chops was at the vet all day. A nurse came in the morning and  took her to have some tests done on her ears. She has these spots and flaky skin. Sounds awful, but, not really, we just wanted to make sure she was OK? I was really worried about her, as I think of my dogs like my children. I am a doggy person in the respect, I really love my animals and think they think, like us. Some people who are not really into their pets will think this is odd, but others will understand.

I was concerned that they would hurt her and she would feel betrayed that we were not there to save her. I know, I know, this is not normal, but as you all know, I  am not normal.

So goodbye to our LC, and after Hub and I did some work removing some furniture, we connected some speakers to our stereo and put on our coats. I fed Black beauty a biscuit and put Little Waggatails harness on. Hub is so confident with his cane and doesn’t even use it as  he should, just holds it in front of him.

Oh I was OK, until it came to actually going out of the door. I lead the way and off we  went. It was awful. Waggatail was sniffing everything and I was on her case  all of the time. Constantly thinking she was going to walk me into something, she does not slow down  for steps, so I have a huge  fear of steps and really was afraid she would not let me know they were coming up, and down I would go.

Though I was the driver, Hub was the Satellite Navigator. He was telling me a step was coming up. I know the rough places of the steps, but not exactly where. Hub is much better than me at feeling the ground with his feet and just knowing what to look out for.

Well the school was out and the noise was deafening. A lady shouted to me to go to her, it was a nice lady from church. I have not been there for so long, wanted to go this week  but was impossible. With Hubs  job, we just have no time at home together so when at home, there is so much to do.

So we passed the children playing football etcetera and the noise was just so loud? I could hardly hear my Barings, but though Waggatail was a little bothered, Hub managed to follow me God knows how, as he was unable to hear my footsteps. We made some mistakes on the way, but got there, Waggatail, found the door of the restaurant and when we were having our meal, she lay fascinated by the ice machine. Our friendly owner Lewis, told me she was lying under the table, with her head going up and down, looking at the ice dropping into the glasses. I have learned, that if you face Waggatail out to see what is going on, she will lay happier, rather than making her face nothing.

On the way back, it was really stressful. She was all over the place. Hub was really supportive. Bless him, I was rubbish though truly rubbish. A real let down and there is no way, I would go out on my own with my new pup, not yet.   

But I’m not saying never.

Hub is off on the train on Thursday with Long chops. All day till very late at night, home for bed, then the next day packing for France. I will have LC thank God, I feel safer when she is  with me, as she is a real Shepherd. I will though worry about Hub in France. He is going by train and my nerves will be shaking until he returns. Only home for a couple of nights then off for five days again. That time taking LC with him. Then home for my birthday and a visit from my loving mad Aunt. That will be the first time she sees Waggatail. She will love  her.

Today,  I met the GDI, and we went with BB, in her car to the vets. For Waggatails check-up and Black beauty’s injection for her arthritis. We got them both weighed and BB has already  put on quite a lot of weight. Only a month retired, this is not good.

She is still slightly under their recommended weight but I want her lighter.

After then, we went to the station. Got on a train, but got back off, so only did that once, but did practice how to get  her on and making her sit to get off, or she will pull you off the train. We learned the way from the taxi and into the station to the desk where you will get assistance. Our train station, is awful in the respect that there is no tactile so you can walk from the taxi rank, right onto the track.

WT did this well. After then, we took the dogs on a free run. Old black beauty, loved it so much. My GDI, had a few words to someone about the ball she was throwing for her dogs, telling her not to  do it, in a nice way, but I cringed as what right do we have to tell someone not to throw the ball, just because guide dogs are not allowed to have them?

We called in to the centre for the blind and I enquired about a sighted volunteer to visit once a week, to go shopping with me and do things like filling in forms or letters. It is great that there is  that service where I used to live, there was nothing like that, and everything you applied for, you were made to feel awkward about it, here not as yet? Having said that, I have to be assessed….

That will take part in two weeks, then they will match a volunteer up with me.

God, what / who, will they give me?

I can’t wait to see?

Imagine if it is a really old man? Or a dishy hunk, or a loony from the local  Sanatorium?

I will keep you informed, I am sure we will have fun whoever it is, I also need to have coffee with  my coffee cup friend. I hope to do that soon?

We came home and we now have sleepy dogs, even LC is sleeping as yesterday took it out on her too, with the vet.

I am stressed with my poor attempt on our walk yesterday so I am not feeling good, I am a bit of a perfectionist, I don’t like to fail and I feel like I really failed yesterday. Also Hub wanted me to go to London with him for a couple of days next week, and I can’t I just can’t. I am week still really dreadfully week. Just wish I had a bit more get up and go, and confidence around people? Meeting his colleagues scares me. Though I have met some of them and they have been delightful and there are a couple of guys I really like the sound of, Hub speaks of them in such a great way. He has so much respect for them and I just know I would love them, but they won’t be on this trip.

I also would be travelling there and back on my own, just couldn’t, not yet.

So until next time my friends, I can tell you that Waggatail is really improving, she comes to me when I call her name now, she comes to me, in the garden instead of running away and she is so much more settled in the house. Her behaviour around shops with the GDI, is impeccable too.

With love, Me, Waggatail, Black beauty and Long Chops.

No comments: