translate

Friday 25 January 2013

Talking to myself?

Well, maybe someone heard me wishing for more access to products the other day.

My hub loves to read - he's trying to get me in to it but I'm too busy writing to my bloggets, and it's shocking that only one version of Kindle has text to speech built in.  This wonderful technology allows hub to read weird and wonderful books about murdering people, but all that could be swept away if a company like Amazon just decides not to produce a book reader with text to speech.  

Ivona.com  has been developing high quality synthetic speech for more than 10 years.  Have a look at the site and try it out,.  They have developed many languages including Welsh.

Does the fact that Amazon has acquired this leading company suggest that more of its products will talk? I doubt it's that simple, as companies are sometimes bought to stop others from benefiting from a leading technology or because a major company has not been able to agree licensing terms with someone else who is providing text to speech, for example.  But Amazon continues to feel pressure from all over the world to do more so that people like Hub can read and maybe this acquisition will move them in the right direction.  I hope so.

No comments: