translate

Friday 25 January 2013

HOORAY HENRY


Good morning Bloggets, how are you all today? There is still snow on the ground, but I must get out today, or I shall go mad. This house has felt like a box this week. I don’t understand it, as I come from a not too distant background of never getting out, but for six days, I have not felt the air of anything other than the forty steps it takes me to get to the dog run, and it is driving me to despair. So my GDI, should be coming today, let’s see?

Where are we going? Let’s see?

I will  tell you later in “The diary of little Waggatail, dated todays date. 25th of January.

Can you believe we are almost at the end of the first month of the year? It does not seem like two minutes ago, since I was talking about getting our Christmas tree.

Soon my birthday, and Hub is struggling on what to buy me, this is because he spoiled me for Christmas, and there is nothing to buy for me. I really don’t want anything, there is nothing I need or feel like want, I mean, what more can I need when I will have my mad aunt coming to see me? Ha.

Then it will be Valentine’s day, the teen has the most wonderful romantic evening planned for his girlfriend. Bless him, he has saved for it for weeks, I will tell you about it on Valentines day, not wanting to spoil the surprise for Pretty posh girl.

He is seeing her on Sunday this week, as tomorrow, she has an important interview/test, to get into the best school for this area. It costs a fortune to get into to be honest, I was not sure there was a test, I just thought they would have to do a bank check on the parents?

If she gets into this school, hub says it will change her. I hope not, as she is posh, but not a snob. She is truly adorable, almost too good to be true, but she is true, at the minute. Hopefully hub won’t be right in  his thoughts of the new school changing her, in his words,

“The school produces (hooray henry’s)

 

Ha. That one should translate for my friends abroad? Don’t ask where that expression came from? Oh, go on then!

A loud-mouthed but ineffectual upper class fool.

Origin


This sounds very much like a phrase of British origin - possibly from the. Wodehouse. In fact it's an American phrase, coined by Damon Runyon. In a piece for a 1936 edition of Collier's Weekly, Runyon wrote:

"He is without doubt strictly a Hoorah Henry, and he is generally figured as nothing but a lob as far as ever doing anything useful in this world is concerned."

 Thank you to The Phrase Finder for that useless information? Ha. Joking, I found this information of extreme importance……

”Stop, it?

Whether or not this is indeed the origion, I’m not sure, but it will give you a general idea of  what kind of products come  from such a school? Good luck to her and at least her parents are giving her the best start.

Though, there is my teen? Hahahah. Joking, he is tall, slim with mustles, blonde blue eyes and very very handsome. With a heart of gold, just has been  melted down  over the years. He has a condition, called lazy itus but he is a boy.

Not for sure a Hooray Henry. This is where by the girl’s parents may intervene?

Well I will talk later on and let you know what I did today? With love

No comments: