translate

Thursday 2 May 2013

GROUPS?


I have been invited to a weekend of inspirational speakers, on blindness. I personally can’t think of anything I would dislike more, but of course each to their own. All I know when I first  went blind, I really really did not want to hear how well other people were doing. For me personally, I had no time for anyone else but my own grief. I didn’t want to know how I could get around my kitchen utensils and learn to know when my coffee cup was full. I had people around me wanting to tell me how good, no, great they were!

  Blindness is so painful in so many ways, but it is not death, it can be like dying, but there again, I have days when I really live and I have seen  more in my life than a lot of sighted people. I just dream of seeing one day, as I know how  lucky people are to be able to shop walk freely without being tied to  a strap or a arm or a stick. To see beauty from around the world, not just smell it. To see life. If I had have ended my life like I wanted to all those years ago, I would  not have met my school love again and not be married to someone who also is blind, and who can help me to live in this prison. He can show me the way out and I would not have met the friends I have and for sure I would not have had our  chats with our Blogget family.

Together we can crack our life open like a bottle of champagne, by talking to the world.

When I went blind, I was told, how being blind, did not affect the daily living of the other people.

Well, to be honest, I don’t believe anyone’s daily living is not affected by being unable to see. It has to be, even though we have technology to help us now, much more than what was around when I was first blind, thanks to people like  S King, S Tilor, Richard O and Pete O from the RNIB, who have worked personally helping us all to have what sighted people have. God knows how far behind we would be now in life without them? Without people who are involved in stepping out and taking equality that extra mile, we would all procrastronate in society.

To be honest though, when you have gone to bed sighted and wake up blind, you don’t want to know the latest tech, that comes weeks, months or for me, years later. When it  does come, thank  God for it, until then , we need a hand to hold an understanding ear and a voice of comfort.

So if someone is newly blind, where is the service for that? I might be different, but, I don’t need enspiring by a blind person. I admire some blind people, like real people like my Hub, or famous singers, but someone else doing well, at the time of being first blind, made me feel worse about myself. Made me realise how useless I was. Why can’t there be a weekend of blind and sighted people getting together having fun.

I would love to have such a company, who add light and help positivity and support for blind people.

Not saying how well we have done, but telling others that one day, they will feel good about themselves, and standing by them until they get better. Not disregarding them like failures.

 

 

No comments: