translate

Wednesday 15 May 2013

A MAY MORNING BY FIONA CUMMINGS


A MAY MORNING

BY FIONA CUMMINGS

Seven o clock in the morning

Time to wake still yawning

From a dream of pink penguins

And everything odd I can imagine

The sun is shining

The birds are singing

And distant church bells are ringing

Damp dew on the grass

Puddles from yesterday’s rain on the paths

A chill in the air

But the weather is fair

A silent street

My footsteps echo

Off the buildings as I pass

I say hello

 A worker is about to cut the grass

I take my dog to the park

On the fence is a sparrow and a lark

I stand talking to a lady

Who feels the need

To tell me about her dogs history

Ailments and what she gives it to eat

Nothing is a mystery

To dog owners

As they feel the need to share

But one thing is obvious

For sure they care

My dog runs free

Then keeps coming back to me

Smile on her face

Mud up her legs

What a disgrace

But with those eyes she begs

My forty fifth time

I have thrown her ball

My arms now aren’t mine

 Aching from the throws

But my dog goes on

Twitching her little nose

Sniffing the morning air

Without a care

Such a simple thing makes her day

On this fine morn of May

No comments: