translate

Saturday 26 October 2013

SHIVERING NIGHTS BY FIONA CUMMINGS


SHIVERING NIGHTS

BY FIONA CUMMINGS

A shadow on a lake

Imaged each and every mistake

As the low white sun weakened

By autumns curtains

Bowing trees formed fingers

From the storm which lingers

I find myself on a casualty

A falling tree

Sitting on the moist bark

Closing in is the dark

The geese fly from the water

To their form of bricks and mortar

Ducks paddle

Splashing making a puddle

Damp feet

Feeling cold

 Need to eat

 Wishing I had someone to hold

The silver moon shows a crest

Shining on the wildlife trying to rest

Distant song

Can be heard

From a nocturnal bird

The wind roars with anger

I’m just an unwanted stranger

Even the branches bare now

Wave goodbye

Scary shapes touch the sky

Leaving me to wonder why

Stars fly

Gold’s and white

Dancing on the lake at night

My puddled footsteps

Shape the mud

As the spray of perfume from the wood

Chases me

Covers me

A scream so loud in the blackness of the night

Gives me such a heart rendering fright

I walk faster now

Though where I’m going lost in the crowd

The cloud of rejection

No affection

Just a reflection

Even the shadow has a place to sleep

Climbing up the stairs I must creep

But stairs going where?

At the top is a chair

Someone sits there deep in prayer

I clime up eight

Then told to wait

I shiver a frown

Then I’m pushed down

The face is laughing at me

A made up clown

Is it not meant to be the other way around?

Lying on the ground

Wild horses thunder over me

I can’t go on

Then I’m hooked by a swan

Through the day this is beautiful

I feed these creatures as it’s dutiful

But who feeds me?

Now it’s night

There is only natures light

A fading moon

Shining on my bedroom

A forgotten cabin

Only tenant is a robin

Priming himself for the Christmas card

This soft life is so hard

But my street now is empty

No evidence

Of my picket fence

The Yellowstone bricks

Disappeared like new tricks

My past has been abolished

My life demolished

An yet I go on

For what?

Put on the spot

The final song?

Well I’m singing

The bells are chiming

And he is charming

He kisses my hand asks me to dance

Full of romance

Wraps me in his velvet cloak

Protects me gives me a home

No more days I shall roam

Dried out leaves

Replaced by silk

I can’t believe

I drink a glass of warm milk

The stove heats soup

And the oven has fresh bread

My fearful, cold, nights are dead

No comments: