translate

Monday 7 October 2013

HUBS BIRTHDAY WEEKEND


Well it’s Saturday morning. Hub flew into the capital on time, but of course there had to be some kind of drama and this time it was the London Tube. There were delays and he was one hour late. Gave me a bit more time to prepare the table and hang out the balloons. At three this morning, I was blowing up balloons. I thought, if I burst one, Teen will have a fit upstairs in his slumber. Not to mention the dogs, as I know that two out of three are afraid of balloons. As for Waggatail? I don’t think she is afraid of anything.

As I was blowing them up, I had the ribbon ready to tye them and all four of them deflated and flew around the kitchen. OMG? I had to find them all as the dogs could choke on them.

So picture this, three in the morning, I’m crawling on my kitchen floor looking for the balloons and our kitchen is 22 foot long. It’s skinny thank God. I found them all, how good is that? One, I managed to catch in flight. No, I’m not a good sportswoman, it was pure coincidence, it just happened to fly into my hand.

One was on my small unit, one on the floor and one had flown into the open cupboard I left a jar to get more balloons.

So the music was on table set and dogs told their Daddy was coming home.

I made a quiche, sausage rolls sandwiches, cheese scones, olives, grapes, kettle crisps, tiffin’s and of course the birthday cake with candles. Though I didn’t put all 45 on, as we would have had a house fire, hahahaha.

He came through the door and from then on it was a lovely day.

Teen bought him a large box of tea from around the world, as Hub loves his teas. I got him a box with a take away coffee cup in with the lid. This is how the gift came, quirky I thought. Inside the cup, were chocolate covered coffee beans, which Hub loves. I bought him some swimming shorts as he has none and a gift box with olive oils in. They are lovely miniature bottles with different flavours. I also got him three CD’s he wished for. And a couple of smellies. Sadly I felt like I had not bought him nearly enough, though we did agree to spend less on birthdays and Christmas this year as money is not flowing too well.

But still I felt gutted as the poor soul didn’t have anyone else who bought for him but my sweet friend from Northumberland. A lady I have been friends with for years. She was Teens lollypop lady from he was five. The person who crosses the road with the kids for school.

Everyone where I used to live were awful to this lady. She meant no harm and was a clever lady, but the people there used to talk about her like she was a dumb person because of her job.

That was just the kind of snobs I used to live next to many years ago.

Little did they not bother to find out, she had a good job in an office, until she retired early and wanted to help children as she never would have grandkids sadly.

Well, because I used to spend five minutes talking with the lady after dropping my Son off, not caring about the nasties saying to me afterwards in the playground

“Fiona why are you talking to her?

I used to tell them I would rather talk with her as them, and if not for her, their kids would be in danger crossing the road. As the Mothers would be too busy gossiping and their little children would just run across the road on their own. If not for “Her,” they could have been knocked over.

Well, she kind of took teen under her wing and treat me like a daughter and teen like her Grand Son.

That was eleven years ago and since then we have been to hers for a meal, she here and to our other two houses and we phone each other every week and she came to the wedding of Hub and mine over three years ago.

We buy for birthdays and Christmas. Her Husband is the person who took our wedding photographs too.

So she bought Hub the nicest gifts of two work shirts and a matching tie in a box and two beautiful coffee cups and some of Hubs favourite coffee. Hub has expensive taste and the coffee is called Blue Mountain. It’s really deer. Lovely Louis, bought him a pocket radio. Sweet man.

So they were his gifts.

Nothing from his kids or Father. Nothing from his brothers either, as for his sister, well, we wouldn’t expect anything. At least one out of two brothers did send Hub a text. No cards though.

Well, I knew this and wanted Hub to have a family birthday with eh person who loves him more than anyone in the world and Hub hates his birthdays as a child his parents didn’t bother with him either. At boarding school, out of sight out of mind.

The birthday lunch went well with Teen and I singing happy birthday. I’m sure the sound Hub wanted to hear after a fifteen hour journey from South Africa? Hahaha.

Then after opening gifts and resting for a while, I told Hub we were going out.

I booked the meal and taxi the day before. Telling the taxi company not, to tell Hub where he was going.

Hmm.

Teen wore his suit he bought for the prom and looked stunning. He is a real good looker.

Hub wore his too and I made an effort to dress up. As the taxi came to our door. He the driver, announced where we were going.

I was furious.

I had to keep a lid on it though as not to spoil the evening. I did tell the driver it was to be a surprise and he had just spoiled it.

Hub knows what I am like and tried to say he had sussed it out anyway but he hadn’t.

He just didn’t want me to cause a scene, as I am good at those. I am a very calm quiet person but when I get cross, oh boy. Let’s just say, I’m known as fiery Fi!

So we got to the hotel. It is the only five star in our town. We had a lovely meal, teen was so cute. Bless him, trying to read the menu with all the words in French. Why? Not sure as it is a English hotel and restaurant.

Then when they brought the entrees to the table, Teen was about to say

“No, that wasn’t the starters we ordered, but he is so clever, he read me and when I said thank you to the lady “Another story for later in the day!”

He kept quiet.

It was very expensive but my love is worth it and the three of us got on so well. Like the family I dream of.

After the meal, teen was to go to the gf’s for the night.

But as we left in the taxi, the gf, had not even started her meal.

Nine o clock by the way…

I’m saying nothing.

We shall leave it at that.

Well, whilst he waited for her at the Mothers house, at least he got his homework done.

I ache for him. I really do.

 So a lovely birthday but what was to come the day after? Oh God!

 

No comments: