translate

Tuesday 15 October 2013

SHADDOWS OF DAWN BY FIONA CUMMINGS


SHADDOWS OF DAWN

BY FIONA CUMMINGS

The damp smell of dawn

Is in the autonomous morn

Navy nights are awaking

A new day is breaking

The street is alone

Echoes of our phone

One tone

To inform us

The taxi is waiting without a fuss

 Shadows of yesterday still linger

I point my methodical finger

The door again

He leaves

Behind him what remains

A wife who grieves for lost time together

 A wish for his home visit to last forever

But there’s no chance

Like the last dance

All good things have to end

But stolen time is not my friend

The door closes

Sneaking in are fragrant roses

A kiss from our garden

As though a pardon

A gift for me

Though I throw it away

As this is too early

For the start of a day

Not sure where the night went

As no sleep was had

Not time to go back there now

As that would be bad

As vans will pass my window

My laziness will show

Delivery people will come and go

Cars rev their engines

Children shout for their Mothers attention

The birds fly by

Rain falls from the sky

Against my half open window

There’s no time to rest

I just stay in my zombie state

It’s best

With a distant memory of the morning

With its long day a head still yawning

 

No comments: