translate

Friday 25 October 2013

OUR QUEEN


Hmm. A memory of mine, now let’s see? Many years ago, when I was about eight, I was invited to London to have afternoon tea with the Lord mayer of London. As the fine china was placed by his wife who was an adorable lady, and the tiny triangles of sandwiches, were arranged around a silver plate, a grey haired lady sliced the cake across from me. I couldn’t help but notice how happy she looked. I never saw my Mum laughing through her eyes.

The lady looked so crisp with her starched blouse on and floral skirt.

This was a big day for her and should have been for me, if only I knew what was about to happen.

As crowds gathered outside the prestigious building my Mum and I were in, we walked onto the balcony.

As my Mum spoke with the Lord mayer behind me, I gaped through the gaps on the rail of the platform we were on.

All I could see were loads of dots. The sounds were of absolute excitement.

The mayers wife, asked me to wave to the crowd who were looking up. I obliged and wondered why they were all waving at me.

Then a Policeman took my hand and led me outside. I was approached by an official who presented me with a posy of flowers. She told me they were for the Queen.

 “The Queen, I thought!

So why give them to me?”

Well as soon as the voices around me became louder and screams even were heard, a huge car pulled up not too far from me and I was told to walk forward to the Queen and hand the flowers over.

Now then, God knows what I said to her if anything, as she did ask me something, but it was really all a bit of a  shock. Then it was as though the switch was turned off the Television. The rest of my day was a blank. As though someone had closed a heavy door on a party in another room.

It was a memory and a mystery too, as how can we just remember parts of days?

I wish I could live my time again for only the happy memories, so I could log everything down better.

One funny thing I do remember from that day, every one seemed to be wearing white.

Our Queen, will be the last of her kind. After Queen Elizabeth, whoever will be King, will be I’m sure just like one of us. Now some say that is good and I can see their point and to a degree, agree with them, but there was and is something mystical about our Royal family.

 

No comments: