translate

Saturday 8 June 2013

YOU FRUITY THING


Looking online today, I came across this.

www.prevention.com

Stirring a few blueberries or strawberries into your Greek yogurt three times a week could lower your risk of a heart attack by about a third, finds a new study from the Harvard School of Public Health. To put that in perspective: For safeguarding your heart, eating berries is as effective as becoming a vegetarian.

Researchers who tracked the diets of 93,600 women found that those who ate more than three servings of strawberries and blueberries per week were 32% less likely to have a heart attack during the 18-year study—even those with a history of high blood pressure.

The source of berry power: anthocyanins, flavonoids that give the fruits their bright colors. "They seem to make arteries and blood vessels more flexible, which lowers blood pressure," says study coauthor Eric Rimm, ScD. Aim for three 1/2-cup servings of fresh or frozen berries weekly.
Sounds good? I have had loads of fruit today, when it is sunny and warm, it's easy for me to eat fruit, but when it is cold? Hmm. My American family visit Mexico and they say how wonderful the fruit is there and when I went to Italy, the peaches, were the size of a huge orange, oh, and really really delicious too. I remember my old teacher used to say to me. "Look after your heart, and your heart will look after you!" Well I just need to tell my taste buds that? xx 

 

No comments: