translate

Sunday 23 June 2013

THAT SPECIAL PERSON, THAT SPECIAL TIME.


 Good day to you all, I went to bed as clock number one, struck five a.m.

My house is on the border line of being like an old friend of ours. I say old; he wasn’t in age, just in soul.

His house was full of clocks and my friend and I used to laugh as they never went at the same time, not even close by the way? There could be fifteen minutes between them all. He had about six. Grandfather clocks, Grandmother and mantle clocks. All chiming. They drove you mad. I love clocks. Love the history of them. As I have told you lots of times before about my English living in America Dad’s beautiful clock, which has a real soul. I absolutely love it. It represents family from yesteryear.

I think it was his great Aunt’s. I always see him sitting next to her, her on a rocking chair, and him by her side, kneeling down looking up and listening to her telling stories as she knits him a jumper for the winter.

Now then, one, she may not have ever knit? Two, she may not have owned a rocking chair, but, for sure she owned the clock. I can almost smell the room, with its thick rich polished wood and shelves of old books. Some cakes baking in the oven and the fire crackling behind a worn out beige fireside rug. With crocheted cushions so neatly propped on their corners and some lavender in a vase on the netted windowsill. A dull light just gives some shadowed comfort to the room. My DD in his shorts, as boys wore them in those days? With his little metal fire engine in his hand as he looks in glee towards his Aunt. Well their clock has been around the world and still ticks over a century later. Travelled from the UK to America. I think the clock was old when the Aunt bought it, so what history?

When my English in American Dd reads this, Hahahahahahaha. He will be thinking, oh my God? But I like that image.

Well getting back to my old friend’s clocks, he had such pride in them. He had what I can call a quirky house. He was and still is, blind. We would get out the taxi as we visited him; walk up the step to get on his path, down a huge step. Then down another couple of steep steps, before walking into the door. As we entered the door. We walked down four more steps into his living room. To get to the kitchen, you would walk up those steps again, and up stairs, to the bathroom, was two flights of stairs? Now we won’t even talk about the danger of his back garden? He had music boxes from the auctions and old everything including furniture. Now he was in his forties?

Very unusual person.

I remember when I bought Hub the cuckoo clock, this man got great delight in looking at it, bless him.

He is very eccentric and will be a very lonely person as he gets older. Sad people like that, I think loneliness, is the most horrible thing. I often wish I had a magic wand and was able to visit people who are alone, the only trouble is,  I would end up feeling really sad for them and want to adopt them all.

If there is someone in your street or nearby you and they live alone, if you can just say hello to them, what a difference that will make? If you can stop and talk to them, you will make their day. If you can arrange a cup of tea with them, that will make their week and to arrange a visit once every week or so, that will make their life so much better and half an hour of time. To improve a life of someone that costs nothing, what a wonderful person you would be? Remember too, I really believe in what goes around comes around. You just don’t know your destiny. You don’t know what your future is? You could be a high flyer now, global travel, business person of the year, having to turn down friends requests of going out, as you just have too many commitments, but, that can all change. In a accident, or your mind may not be able to cope with life, so you cannot help having a breakdown an you will find yourself in that place of loneliness.

If you are, I hope I can visit you or someone better and laugh with you and make you feel alive.

Everyone needs a special person. Being special, costs nothing. How much is your time worth?

 

No comments: