translate

Sunday 2 February 2014

SCHOOL ASSEMBLIES "GOD OR TECHNOLOGY"


It’s silly time in the morning. I have listened to                my P Pod and that kept my Hub awake and then I tried to sleep, but so much on my mind right now, I took my other earphones, the ones that are not necessarily meant  for loud music, but gentle stories and plugged them into my kindle, to continue the story/book I’m enjoying right now.  A book which is more and more like my real life, too, close for comfort to be honest. There is a part of the book which makes me feel decidedly nauseas. Disturbing and that combined with my thoughts at the moment and hunger pain, I just had to get up and write.

God, if only I could wipe the slate clean from my past, or at least parts of my past I would like to clean.

Well, never mind all of that how are you?

I hope well?

A subject I heard on the radio, just before we went to bed, was talking about school assemblies.

I thought this was an interesting debate. They were saying that in our schools, God had been replaced with mobile/cel phones.

And they were arguing the case that our school assemblies should not be religious.

Some were saying that the fact we had Muslims in our schools now was just an excuse not to preach about Christianity.

What do you think? We are so worried about offending Muslims and other religions, the religion of our country is being ignored, an yet, our Muslim friends/school children are allowed to go off and pray whenever they need to, so how come it’s not OK for the Christian children to have their time to pray?

A head teacher was saying that he would rather his school talk about latest technology as that is communicating in the real world where as his opposition was saying that the bible had stories in it that can easily relate to modern day issues.

I have mixed opinions about this subject. My Husband says he thinks our old Christian assemblies should still exist and he remembers the ones he and I had as children to prove beneficial.

I said I just went through the motions and said the words to our Lords prayer and sang the hymns, but it meant nothing!

If I wanted to pray, I would do it on my own and not in a group session.

Sadly, I don’t think kids today would sit through religious sessions first thing in the mornings.

Though I do feel like kids need time away from technology and the harsh day to day times of modern life and a fifteen minute assembly, may be that perfect time out space.

I know in my Sons school, there were Muslim children and other religions who were allowed to not attend assembly and when my Son said he didn’t want to attend assembly, because his school at the time was still having the conventional assemblies, he was told under no circumstances, would he be allowed to leave in his words the torture of his morning sessions.

An yet other children could?

Is this fair?

I don’t think so. This is when segregation occurs.

I think an ideal situation would be if for some time each morning the children would be allowed to pray to whatever God of their choice and if they were non-believers, they would respect others by keeping quiet or perhaps having time to reflect life through thoughts.

I understand that some religions can’t pray to order at certain times, but they should be allowed to learn respect for others too! If they can’t adjust their pray times around school, then a little give and take on both sides would be good. To sit in assemblies and just turn off for a short while is a good thing I think. No fuss is for me a must.

OK, I shall leave you with that thought and look forward to your responses.

Later gators. X

No comments: