translate

Wednesday 5 February 2014

FATHER OF THE STEAM TRAIN


Good morning Bloggets. I had a good night sleep, and didn’t wake to hear my early start verbals from my Son, well; obviously he didn’t wake either as he slept in for college. So he would be one and a half hours late, I wouldn’t care, time he gets there, he will be there for an hour. So two hours there and back for that hour, but at least he went.

It rained through the night, so God knows what the field is going to be like for our dog walk today? I shall find out when arty comes.

A train just went by and made the sweetest tune with its horn. I love hearing the trains. I always wanted to live in an old station. I once looked online and some of them were sold to be done up. So still had the old station clocks and waiting rooms even with wooden original benches and cloak rooms.

How quaint would that be? But can you imagine how haunted they would be?

And they were so deer too, but almost all the ones I looked at, were surrounded by fields so you really would be on your own!

The days of the steam trains would be a romantic time to live don’t you think?

George Stephenson was an engineer. He built steam locomotives for the first railways. Sometimes people call him 'the Father of the Railway'.

When did he live?
George Stephenson was born in 1781. At this time Britain was starting to change from a land of farms and small villages to a land of factories and big cities. We call this change the Industrial Revolution. By the time George Stephenson died in 1848, its new railways and factories had made Britain the richest country in the world.

Stephenson and son
George Stephenson's son Robert helped him build railways. Robert was born in 1803 and died in 1859. He became as famous as his father. Robert Stephenson built bridges too, and was a Member of Parliament.

George Stephenson came from Wylam on Tyne, not far from where I used to live. He was born in a small stone cottage built circa 1760

He designed a safety lamp for miners. Before the lamp, miners worked by candlelight.

  George's first locomotive went at only 4 mph. But it pulled wagons weighing 30 tons!

The smell of the trains, the sounds too,  are amazing. We still have steam trains working in England, as specially the north of England and you can get some lovely days out to the coasts and so on. There are even replicas of the old fashioned tea houses as you vacate your train and if you look hard enough you can stay in a cottage which looks onto the tracks, so you don’t have to go  to our museums to see this wonderful eerier.

God only knows where this blog came from or where it’s going? This is me though, from teens in the modern day, to steam trains. Haha!

OK, must dash as my little dog is crying, why? Only she knows that as she as far as I’m concerned want’s for nothing urgent. My friends guide dog is coming up to retirement, but my friend is kind and is able to keep her  dog  once she retires, so this is great, the sad thing is, her dog is now in hospital. I don’t know what is wrong with her but I must find out if she has heard anything as the poor dog has been very ill for some weeks now. My old Black beauty is still doing OK, bless her and she will love her run this afternoon, if the weather allows. Laters gators. X

 

No comments: