translate

Friday 21 February 2014

BRASSED OFF WITH THE HEAD MASTER


 

Hub and I went to see Brassed off tonight at our local theatre. The sky was wearing its dark blanket and the chill was in the air, not only of our day which wasn’t really a good one. A lot of stress. Back to normality. As we walked along the streets, shivering with the bitter night, I felt so cross with a post I read on Facebook. My friend who is lovely put in a group where I am a member, a note about our old head master. He is dying and has cancer. I do feel for his daughter as she was lovely, but as for him?

Well, he and his daughter want letters from people about how they remembered him?

There are some posts on the group about how great this man was. I would love to write what I felt about him but it would be deleted and if I were admin, I also would delete as what I would want to say would not be appropriate.

He was horrible, cruel and greedy. My Husbands Father was on the board of the school and the head left the school under a very dark cloud. Let’s say, money was involved.

He told my Mum he watched me in the dormitory at nights crying myself to sleep. He knew how much I hated the school in the evenings, but didn’t want to let me be a day pupil, because he would be £400 worse off per year. That was a lot of money in those days.

Evil. As there were a lot of children who went home at nights at that school and I only lived six miles from the school. He did in the end let me be a day pupil but for how long? Not even a year before I had to leave the school as we could only stay until we were 12.

Just enough time for me to get used to being at home and having a normal life. As I loved the schooling, it was the boarding I couldn’t stand.

I will never forgive that man, not ever and I don’t wish him anything but pain. When my wonderful teacher from that school died at such a young age, and that head lives on and he must be driving towards ninety, it’s not a fair world.

Anyway, I needed the theatre for escapism from that horror.

We arrived; it was dark as I said so LC missed the doors into the place. Haha. We did another walk past it and we found our way in. It was packed. We got to our seats with the help of a very odd lady.

Then the show began.

It was really enjoyable. I have seen the movie, so I knew the story. It was back when Thatcher was closing the coal mines in the north and how the families struggled with life, depression, divorce and so much more, but it was full of northern humour.

Of course there was a brass band involved. In the UK, all pits had a brass band. Once a year we used to have a miners picnic. As   a child, it was just a way of life. Tradition. My Mum loved the picnics as her Dad was a conductor for a miner’s brass band and later on an orchestra.

She idolised her Dad so I knew the handkerchiefs would be out as she used to always cry when the bands proudly marched by as the onlookers applauded.

The streets were full of colour. Floats went by and there were jazz bands as well as carts with the Princess in the front.

The church halls would have ladies with tables full of goodies and the atmosphere was one of pride.

Thatcher destroyed all of that.

The speeches at the end were rather political for us, so we never stayed to listen to those.

But good days.

The audience tonight were very against conservatives. That was rather nice to know. So very sensible people in the theatre. It was amusing how political the production was and how the audience participated in the anti-conservatives.

The band was great and the humour was wonderful but a sad ending, not as sad as the film though.

We stood up and walked out with ease, again into the blanket of February chill but this time, heavy rain.

A lovely night and tomorrow, Saturday, my dear friend Julie is coming to stay overnight.

Happy Saturday friends. X

No comments: