translate

Thursday 3 December 2015

REFLECTIONS OF TIME BY FIONA CUMMINGS (SHORT STORY)


REFLECTIONS OF TIME

BY FIONA CUMMINGS

Father Time visited me and I would like to share his visit with you all. Are you sitting comfortably?

My story begins as so. I took the long undulating walk from my place of work to the little village where I live. Passing by the old miners homes built of stone with original crooked windows illuminated by the odd glow of a candle or an amazingly decorated Christmas tree. Baubles from a past I could only imagine. Made by children with their Grandparents, around the coal fire with cut up fabrics, wood, and straw and ribbons to tie onto the tree. Baubles in modern days that would be thrown away without a thought or care into the history behind the making of the decorations. But to these families, they mean something. They represent the old meaning of family values. Sadly again, a value from times gone by.

 

The village church has a huge wreath outside the flaky wooden door, crafted by the local children. A circle of dried fruit and branches, twisted ferns and pinecones.

 

I heard the rehearsal of what will be the village nativity play.

 

Sounds of excited children and those grownups franticly running around trying to organise what will be a meaningful evening for the villagers.

 

Passing the old oak tree with a balloon which had obviously escaped from somewhere or someone. It had got tangled in the tall finger like brittle branches, bruised by the December harsh winds.

 

Through the creaking timber gate that needed oiling last Christmas. Down my path of crunchy gravel framed by wood chippings. The two Christmas trees I planted when my children were young they have grown far too high now to be so close to my cottage, but I don’t have the heart to dig them up as I have fond memories of the time I took from the garden shed my rustic spade and two small trowels so my little children of seven and nine could participate in the plantations!

 

The fragrance from the ferns at this time of year is delightful.

 

As I turn the key in my door, my old Labrador Hannah meets me with such a welcome. My cat Arthur sits up high on my piano just staring at me as though to say he has had a tough day avoiding the chase of Hannah. He’s an old guy now of seventeen.

 

I don’t have a Christmas tree. I have no parcels to wrap and won’t be receiving any either as sadly, I’m of no use any more to my children in the selfish world we live in. But my pets, I live for them and they never ask for anything other than food and love.

 

 My Livingroom floor is of stone but my heart melts when I return home to Hannah and Arthur.

 

I poke the fire and watch the amber flames flicker as I tare newspaper to burn.

 

Feed some chicken and rice to the furry ones and some broth for myself. Then I take Hannah for her evening walk across the ivy cladded hills. In the cobalt sky, I thanks to the moon can make out the bucolic beatific rural surroundings.

 

My torch shines on my girl who with her jet fur can barely be seen. Back to the cottage we go, where the smoke from my chimney I see forming majestic movements throughout the bitter, and yet blissful eve!

 

As I pulled shut the bolt to my back door I took from the decanter some sherry, pouring it with care into a glass, only one left in the set my wife and I received for our wedding thirty seven years ago. I toasted my beloved. This time of year is more difficult without her. This would have been the second year without her. She was taken from me far too early and the blame is on me as far as my children are concerned, so hence I don’t see them or my tiny Grandchildren. I mask the pain with the warmth of a glass or two of the seasonal sweet taste.

 

As I sit in the rocking chair that was made by the hardworking hands of my old dad when I first married, I notice as I sip from my glass the reflections of the flames in the glass doors of my cabinet.

 

You know when the house is a sleep and it’s dark. The wind can be heard roaring outside you are the only person in the house and yet you sense someone else? The hairs on the back of my neck met with my collar and a shiver ran down my back.

 

The ticking of the Grandmother clock in the hall echoed as the breathing from another danced along the piano keys.

 

I won’t lie to you, I was numb with fear. But then the wistful hollow tones of a voice I felt I knew.  

I was right, it was Father Time. He asked me why I was thinking so deeply on this dark December night. I told him that I just didn’t feel Christmas anymore. He whispered as he leaned over the back of the fireside chair at the other end of the room, as by this point I hadn’t seen him, I was almost too afraid, but I felt where he was an knew what he was doing.

 

“You have no right to feel in such a way.”

I expostulated. “How dare you judge me? The person who filled my heart with love has been torn away from me and those born to her I don’t even know where they are.  All of the romance the joy the greed of the commerce and conflicts in war. Where is the giving the love and sharing. Where are the family values?”

 “Young man.” Father Time exclaimed. “Look around you. You have a place to work where you talk with others; you have a warm house full of food and your pets. When was the last time you went to see your neighbour who is also on her own?”

 

“I don’t see her as she doesn’t leave her home?” I replied.

“And have you asked yourself why that is?”

 

I then sore the figure of an ancient man with a long cloak a beard and an hour glass by his side. Everything seemed to make sense. I knew what I had to do with my time. I knew.

 

As Father Time faded into the darkness of the night, in my head I made plans and from now on, life would be good. I wouldn’t be going to the church on my own this year. And on my way home, I would pass by old Jacks and get him to cut down a tree for me to place by my hearth. Life will change now. I had some searching to do and questions which needed answering.

 

Merry Christmas and remember that neighbour you haven’t seen for a while.    

Copyright Fiona Cummings 2015

No comments: