translate

Friday 5 October 2012

SILVER TEA POT AND A GOLDEN DELIGHT


Good afternoon friends. Today I would like to share with you the most wonderful day that we had yesterday! Searching the net, I found a lovely idea for my Husbands birthday. A visit to York’s finest hotels, for afternoon tea! The elaborate surroundence and exquisite hotel, The Cedar Court Grand Hotel York, steep in  its history was an ideal birthday treat.

The hotel was built early 1900s and  four years and five million bricks later, with its black and white Belgian marble in the entrance hall. Splendid terrazzo with Roman mosaic margins was laid in the corridors, whilst patterned wood blocks were used in the offices.

It has been known that the finest orchestras, have performed on the top of the staircase of the main entrance hall. “How romantic and different?” I  thought! We can go for an Indian cuisine for friends coming, this was a day I wanted to remember for my hard working love.  

I made a reservation the day before and the lady who took my details, was so unobtrusive and gave no fuss at the fact that we might have a guide dog or I was a vegetarian, in fact such little fuss was made, I wondered if when I arrived there was a need to remind the staff of my food choice? There was no need at all. We got out of the taxi, without our dogs, and were met at the welcoming entrance, by the delightful extremely well educated Concierge, who welcomed us and took my arm. I felt as though I was going to be married to the King of England. But you know us? There had to be a laugh. There was me, speaking my finest English, rolling my A’s and o’S Speaking in a demure fashion and my Husband had obviously a new starter at the hotel, of which I am sure will not be in the front line today. Speaking in a beautiful English accent, my gentleman asked me was I attending afternoon tea  for a special occasion. Ending the question with the word Madam. I answered it was my Husbands birthday and he politely turned to my husband  with the foreign helpful person guiding him and congratulated him. To which the man with my husband asked in his broken English

“Oh how old are you then?” hahahahahah. Love replied “Too old!”

“Come on tell me how old?” Pleaded the man.

 “Put it this way,  my numbers now can not be reversed!” As at this point I should tell you he is 44. To which the man said in a voice which did not fit the surroundings we found ourselves,

“Fifty five?” Hahahahahahahahahlolololol. Oh I so wanted to burst with laughter, but had to behave. I found myself beaming in silence thinking oh, boy, you’re in for it? Put it this way, he was not there to guide us out. I think there would be a lot of dish washing done by a certain young man that day?

We were lead to our table with the finest quality table cloths and napkins were placed on our knee. Surrounded by solid silver the table was beautiful. If we  could see, we would have the views of the castle walls but we did not need to see that day, as we had our senses and imaginations.

The waiter brought our sandwiches on platters and announced mine were vegetarian. I was in shock that it was remembered. Oh they were tiny fingers of pure delight. Sandwiches you would not make at home and my taste buds were awakened, whilst taking in the tranquil atmosphere of the long fine room, steept in history. We were asked what kind of tea we required and read out a list of about fifteen teas. I chose cinnamon and orange and my Husband chose an unpronounceable tea, in which I had never heard of but that reminded me of the person he is. A well-travelled gent. He said his tea served  from a solid silver tea pot, had a beautiful woody fragrance. Mine was so subtle and light. Oh it was wonderful I could not remove the smile from my face.

It was so nice to get out of the house and into a world in which I could escape from life. Then came the huge silver stand with decadent delights of homemade scones with a plate of clotted cream and  jars of preservatives. On the top layer of the three layered stand, was the small cakes. I cannot describe how they tasted as my taste buds have never been honoured in that fine way. One of the cakes, covered in a chocolate that was obviously home made just exploded and my eyes felt as though they were going to cry. I found myself unable to say anything as my motions were numbed by pure bliss. Oh it was beautiful and the waitress served us fresh tea to refresh our pallets. A wonderful wonderful day and a hotel and Spa I can highly recommend, if you require the typical,  opulence, quintessential English experience.

No comments: