translate

Sunday 14 October 2012

CH 2 TASTING THE TOWN


So part  two of yesterday’s story, Tasting the town.

 We got so lost. We walked down streets of despair, avenues of  anger, roads of rowdiness and lanes of boutiques.  The bitter damp night was becoming more of a threat. I wanted to give in. I was tired and exhausted. I really just wanted to curl in a corner and cry. I  reverted back to being that little girl again at our dreadful sad boarding school, desperate for my Mum. I prayed in silence and felt I let my Husband down because I too could not see to find our way. Why was I so stupid to think we could do this on our own? We must have been mad? It was dangerous. Crazy. The guilt the pain my Husband was going through.  He did not want to let me down, but how could he? We after all are in the same boat of blindness and we could sink or swim. Well believe me, that old boat sank, but boy, did we swim? I am a rubbish swimmer and I held onto my Husband with only life in mind. Each breath I took walking up the hill and through the cobbled streets was for my husband. How could I allow him to think he has let me down? Our IPhone really let us down with its maps. You see arrows pointing I think if you can see, if not,  you just hear street names, which   is fine,  if you know the names of the streets but as we are new to the area, we were stuffed.

All sorts of things were going through my mind. “Why do we have to act like sighted people? Why did we have to push our luck. We had been to town already that day and it was really successful. Were we  being greedy wanting two bites of the apple? Well, were we? After all, if you can see, you go to shop and then might go out for dinner in the evening? But we can’t see, are we or should we always be so different?

My clever Husband recognized a street and I remembered the next three streets, though I had echoes of his weary voice telling me I was going in the wrong direction, but I sometimes am like a homing pigeon and can get back from places. Then I got lost just as my Husbands voice became more cheerful and said he now knew where we were! “Thank God, I thought. So not giving up, my Husband told me he knew there was a restaurant called ASK on that street. Oh, I did not have an appetite. I was really shattered and felt like quitting. How could we find it, how could we find the door to the right building? I was sick of guessing. We stood, we waited and we asked when we heard someone who sounded a little caring  pass us. Someone who did not sound like they had just drank the bar dry. He was an  American tourist/student, but he said we were about ten foot from the door. My Husband asked if he would show us. I waited for him to say no, but bless him, he walked us to the start of the steep, steps to the doorway. We thanked  him and I heavily heaved myself up the stone steps, into the glass doors. Well when we walk in anywhere, normally there is someone comes over and asks us if they can help, or take us to a table? We stood and listened, as obviously we don’t know what is in front of us, and we heard nothing but a distant sound of  diners. We were in a huge I mean really huge  hall way. It was the size of a entrance into a vast art gallery. It had a marble like floor and there was no one around. Oh God, how much more could I take? I wanted to turn around but knew we had come that far, so had to go further. I lead my husband as in buildings, I have more confidence than him. Found another set of doors, by following the sounds of the clunking of glasses and knives and forks. A lady came to us as we pushed open the doors and walked in. Oh my God. The noise? I can only describe it as a cross between a children’s play area and a swimming pool. Voices echoed but we could not hear what people were talking about as it was all so  loud.

I could hardly hear the lady but my Husband did as he spoke with her and began to walk. I hung on for life, squeezing through narrow lanes of tables. “Where on earth had we come to?” We were sat at a tiny wooden table with dreadfully hard wooden chairs. It was like being in the middle of an amusement arcade. Oh my word it was awful.

The waitress came over to us, sat at our table and began to read the menu. Well I could only hear every seventeen words, so stayed safe and had a salad and garlic mushrooms. My Husband had a pasta that was spicy and we had cheese garlic bread for starters. My salad was absolutely delicious. There was everything on that plate that I would not normally put on at home so I really loved it and the mushrooms were stunning with fresh parsley on the top. My Husbands pasta, was freshly made he loved it and the thin  cheese garlic bread was mouth wateringly magnificent.

Well despite the dreadful surroundings, the sounds of hell to be honest, the food was wonderful and the waitress was so sweet. She wore a beautiful perfume called Blue Jeans. I had the cheek to ask. Thankfully I heard her or did I? Could it have been Blue queens? Or Loo teams?

For dessert, I had berries and ice cream, with nuts. Hub had Tiramisu. We had some drinks, I had two soft drinks and my Husband had three bottles of beer. The bill? I was shocked as it was a glorified café, with no fancy table wear and it cost £60. I thought that was so deer? There was no steak or expensive fish. It was salad and pasta. But the fact is, we got fed, the food was truly tasty and the lady was very sweet and  helpful, she even guided us through the vast amount of people out of the place. I would not recommend the place for its ambience, but for its food? Yes. I would recommend also not to ever give up as the feeling of achievement was wonderful and that feeling, could never be served, even at the finest restaurants.

My final word on this blog, is if you are in a place where you think you can never get out of the house, where you feel like crawling on the ground. Where you feel like  there is no tomorrow and you cry all day and night. If you feel like what happened to me at the weekend, only happens to people like me and not you, well, let me tell you. I was you for so many years and I still have days like you and that is why I feel like writing the one good day or day of achievement. The one day out of forty. But my one day out of forty now, used to be no days out of a quarter of a century. I can promise you my friends, you just never know what or who, is around the corner! x

No comments: