translate

Saturday 27 October 2012

DO YOU BELIEVE IN GHOSTS?


DO YOU BELIEVE IN GHOSTS?

The old English word for Ghost is Gast. Spook, is from the Dutch, and is a loanword akin to Low German, spook entered the English language via the United  States in the 19th century. While deceased ancestors, are regarded as vulnerable, and often imagined as having a continued presence in some sort of after life, the spirit of a deceased person which remains present in the material world (viz. a ghost) is regarded as an unnatural or undesirable state of affairs and the idea of ghosts is associated with a reaction of fear... This is universally the case in pre-modern folk cultures, but fear of ghost also remains an integral aspect of the modern  Ghost story. What makes children terrified of Ghost stories, an yet compelled to ask for them to be told to them? What is our fascination with ghosts or spirits?

I think it is just human curiosity. We don’t like it when we don’t know. I tell you now, doing some research on the net, I will make this blog a lot quicker than I anticipated. On my own, Hub abroad, teen party and me? Kind of wishing I had not started this blog on ghosts?

I do believe in them though. I have seen them and do not want to awaken those dark days of fear again thank you, very much even in the research of blogging!

G is for grey mist

H is for haunted

O is for out of this world

S is for scary

T is for terrifying, or

G is for giving me the creeps

H is for hiding away

O is for “Oh my God?

S is for switch on the telly

T is for a word that sounds like ghost to forget the blooming things. Going to make some toast, right now……Oh, hang on a minute? I’m not going in that blooming kitchen!

 

No comments: