translate

Thursday 25 October 2012

SECOND SIGHT


Well we all watched a film last night on BBC1. Firstly it was about a blind man and we were all three of us blind, and there was no audio description on the film. For those who do not live here in the Uk, we are very fortunate to have audio on our programs, well most of them.  This means when someone is winking or looking afraid, or simply hiding behind a door,  we know about it as  a voice comes over the program and tells us as quickly and as descriptive as possible. It’s great we love it so many things we can watch now that we couldn’t before. So when we sat down to watch a program about a blind man, we  were shocked that it was not audio described. It was  American though, and sadly for our US friends, they don’t have such a great thing, one thing the Uk has done first, but the US started a fantastic other thing that we use a lot and it is amazing, I will talk of that on another blog.

Oh my word, the film? Well this actor was a masseur. I tell you with a voice like his, I would go nowhere near him. Oh God, he put me off my supper. As I sat eating toast I felt decidedly sick. He was a real sleaze ball who started off like this and imagine, we can not see the screen so did not know what was happening we did not know of his profession at that time and this is what we heard in a murderistic voice.

“Come in, take off your clothes and lie on the bed. Do you want me to go deep? If you need me to go deeper, tell me? Oh, yes.”

He had quotes like this when the girl showed him around her apartment, she said

“This is my chair,” He said nothing, “This is this and this is that, but when it came to her bed?

“This is my bed?” (him)

“Oh, yes!” Oh he was awful, but the film showed him being blind in a blind world and what he saw through the eyes of a blind man. Then he got his sight back with a new revolutionary treatment and it was the horrors of a blind man seeing for the first time in his life. It left us all with shivers in how hard  it would be for a blind person who has  never seen to suddenly see? As  of course it is the  brain which sees, not the eyes, the eyes, are just a window. For me to gain sight, would be good/great/fantastic and the end of my horrors. For a person who has never seen, the start of a new nightmare, but only until they learn everything, what things look like, like expressions on faces? I never thought about it before, but if my Husband gets a cure and can see for the first time ever, he will not know what a  smile looks like or the expression of sadness or  if someone is shocked or flirting with him….. Sad really? But my option is, he will learn to scan and know what life is about after about a year, then he will be free for life.

In the end of the film, he lost his sight again leaving the viewer’s/listeners to think, well he is better off blind? Well I think that was a wrong conclusion as in time seeing is a lifetime, being blind, is a sentence, for a crime we are unaware of!

x

No comments: