translate

Thursday 19 December 2013

THE ROCKING HORSE BY FIONA CUMMINGS


THE ROCKING HORSE

BY FIONA CUMMINGS

I remember when he was new

Wrapped in a bow of blue

All shiny and groomed

Waiting in the room

On Christmas morning

So early everyone was yawning

My little boy’s gift from his Nana

No need for batteries or a spanner

His wooden nose

Wood coloured rose

Chesnutt hair

A loyal stare

I lifted him to take a ride

At first he cried

But then they made friends

He rocked too and fro

Through lands of snow

Where will he go

A child’s imagination

Absolute devotion

Now I’m full of emotion

As he still stands there

Without a care

All on his own

No one is there

To comb his tail

He moves slowly now

Like a snail

But still in my heart

He and I will never part

As the connection is there

Between my child and my Mum

Memories of so much fun

Riding too far away places

Surrounded by happy faces

He’s now fifteen

And life he has seen

The next generation

He shall gallop again

You can have your electronics

A modern war game

A remote aeroplane

 But something that will not change

Or go out of fashion

Is the rocking horse so dashing

And fond memories are smashing

So in memory of my Mum

And my now teenage Son

I shall dust old rocker down

And keep him a shine

Until the right time

When he is needed again

I don’t care when

How long it will take

I just know I love him

 Hair of chocolate flake

 He’s loved that’s no mistake

 

No comments: