translate

Friday 20 December 2013

SHOCKING BLOG DIE SLOWLY


The death penalty is as old as the concept of justice itself and surely older than such punishments as jail sentences or financial reparations. One can argue the relative pros and cons of putting people to death for years and it will remain the kind of hot button issue that likely has no right or wrong answer. Despite your viewpoint, the death penalty is a subject of keen interest, a confluence of human evil, finance, and visceral history.

So what is your opinion on the death penalty? My friend and I are discussing it right now. I remember when I was at college, it was a huge debate and I think it was 21 out of 26, who disagreed with it, but it was my job to turn the others who opposed it around and get them on my side. I tell you, it was really hard, but they turned. The end result was 4 against it and in favour of the penalty 21

Why oppose the death penalty?

While the trend for the death penalty is actually declining around the world, Japa and other notable countries such as India and Pakistan resumed executing criminals after a long stint of being execution free. At least seven death row inmates were killed in Japan last year, ending a 20 month period without executions. “So does this mean, whoever is in charge of the country, decide who is to live and who to die? Who is allowed to play God? One party says no, the next yes? I think it would be good to have a large council worldwide and they all have to agree on rules for each country which has the death penalty. In fact, In December 2012, 111 countries or more than half the world's countries voted in favor of a United Nations resolution that would declare a global moratorium on executions.

Some argue that the wrongful execution of an innocent person is an injustice that can never be rectified. So then, we must be at least, 99% sure using DNA and so much more advanced technology which is available now days.

Some morbid facts on the death penalty

Hanging might seem like a relatively simple proposition, but it has complications. Suspending or a very short drop, as typically seen in suicides, can result in a long, agonizing death from strangulation. Too long a drop causes decapitation. The procedure is best performed by measuring the person’s weight against the length of the drop to result in a broken neck, paralysis, and a quick death. “I ask, why a quick death? Do the victoms suffering end quickly?

This equation, however, is thrown off by morbidly obese people who are too heavy to hang without risk of a gruesome beheading. Such was the case ofMitchell Rupe, a bank robber who shot two tellers dead in Washington State. Rupe was sentenced to death, but at the time, the only form of capital punishment performed in Washington was hanging. Rupe, who weighed over 180 kilograms (400 lbs), argued that he was too fat to be executed in such a fashion and that doing so would constitute cruel and unusual punishment.

Rupe was subjected to numerous court proceedings and was twice sentenced to die. In 1994, a federal judge ruled that he was too heavy for hanging. A third trial resulted in a deadlock, and he was eventually relegated to life behind bars. Mitchell Rupe died of liver disease in 2006.

The guillotine was designed to be both humane and efficient, but there’s something truly visceral and chilling about the concept of decapitation. Certainly the worst of it is the notion that death doesn’t come quickly, and that the head remains alive for some interminable period afterward. History is full of anecdotal tales of heads which responded to their names when called. When an assassin e claimed to have seen a look described as “unequivocal indignation” cross her face at the transgression.

I personally don’t care how painful it is to execute someone who has taken a six month baby and removed her diaper then had violent sex with her tiny frame. I don’t care how sad or worried/stressed the prisoner is waiting for the death penalty, who has just broken into an old ladies house, took her vase which was her loving Mothers hit the elderly lady over the head, smashing her glasses as now she can’t see what is about to happen to her before the evil person robs her.

Some would argue saying that the death penalty was an easy option? Make them suffer as when in jail they will be forever looking over their shoulder?

I say get rid of them. They are a burden to society, a mark on the land and thieving air in which we need to breathe. They are a total waste of money. And who will spend money on the victims? Who takes time out to talk or discuss their futures?

So what did I do to persuade the class to agree with me?

Simple. Stood up and said it how it is. I actually remember my best acting to date. I re-enacted different circumstances/situations and was that victim I also told of stories of family members and how they suffer. How a Mother feels knowing that her Husband/brother, has raped her baby. How let down and absolutely devastated she feels. Filthy and in agony to the core of her heart. How a loving daughter aches with the knowledge that her Father has been tied up and beaten then left to die, drowning in his blood.

I really said things that shocked my tutor. Gasps could be heard from the blindfold which stopped me from seeing my audience, who I was to persuade what in my opinion, is the right dessision. I heard my piers change before my blindness which was given to me for no crime I committed, other than care for society, so let’s stop caring about the evil and start loving the kind?

No comments: