translate

Monday 30 December 2013

NEW YEARS TABLE


Our shopping has arrived and we have a small amount of food to welcome in the New Year tomorrow evening and see us through the day without having to cook. So cooking tomorrow but after 6, nothing. My Mum used to say, start the New Year as you wish for the rest of the year to continue.

OK, so she would set the table, oh it was wonderful food, everything on there; you couldn’t see the pattern on the table cloth. She would put her tray out with drink, though she never drank, but there would be the bottle of snowball, and the new bottle of sherry, as last years had just gone where the new year’s would also be going. Down the sink.

She would buy a bottle it would not get drunk so the following year, we would go through the ritual of pouring it down the sink and open a new one.

We weren’t drinkers in our family, but eaters for sure and no one could put on a table like my Mam.

God, I miss her. I miss her kindness and love. I miss the help that I may have received with my Son, as you may know, she and my Dad died when my now 16 year old, was only one. The time when I really needed her.

She also made a huge pan of soup. It was New Year’s Day fifteen years ago, I sat and ate her soup and told her it was the best soup in the world. She told me in her very serious voice, unusually calm for her, to make the most of it, as it would be the last one I would ever get.

I looked at her in shock.

She died, seven days later.

This time of year is not a good time for me, within six weeks; I have my Dads birthday, then Mums, then their anniversary on our Boxing Day then the first week in January, my Mams anniversary of her death.

Then there is Christmas without her and Dad, so I will be glad to see the New Year go away and roll on February. My birthday month, OK, another year older… 33 this year, or shall I stay at 32? After all, I have been at that age for a while now! Haha.

OK, tomorrow night, our friends are coming here for a drink, then we are going to theirs, but shall see the New Year in on our own, quiet and probably just the two of us, in fact I’m sure of it.

I lost my boy a year ago so I guess he is starting the New Year off in the same manner.

And I am also sure, filled with alcohol. As one of them bought him a bottle of vodka for Christmas.

Bloody idiots.

Well, what goes around comes around.

I shall be waiting for that day.

From what I can gather, something is on the horizon.

OK Bloggets, again, thank you so much for yesterday’s views. We had record viewings.

You are all amazing and should be so proud of yourselves.

As if not for all of you, this page would not exist.

Love you all for that and one day I pray, I shall write books and you will all be a huge part of that.

X

No comments: