translate

Thursday 14 January 2016

THE PROMISE BY FIONA CUMMINGS


THE PROMIS

BY FIONA CUMMINGS

 The promised vail

The wedding ring

The honeymoon ship we would sail

The church bells would ring

 And choirs would sing

White horses would trot

We picked the best spot

Our photographs

Our echoed laughs

Butterflies in our stomach

We were so in love I thought

 Gifts people bought

Good will they sent

Words they wrote they meant

We were stuck together with cement

My watch must have lied

The tears that I cried

Past the hour

One single flower

In my lapel

Reminded me of that day of hell

You didn’t come to the alter

Your treatment of me I didn’t falter

People warned me of you

But I loved you

My friends and family forgave you

As they had you wrong

But as the time went on

I gave up the fight

And they were right

The wedding waltz into the night

Shaded moon

Peered through the window

The long wedding table, all was left was a silver spoon

I couldn’t go to our room

I sat all night on my own

Looking at my phone

No message

How could you be so detached

Did I want revenge?

No, just you in my arms

I heard on the grapevine

You didn’t want to be mine

I wish you no harm

I will get over you

So they say

Tomorrow is another day

Tell it to my heart

I thought a new start

But no wasn’t meant to be

My world just was full of you and me

As silver stars join the moon

And distant cars, travel on their way

Whispering winds, I try to hear what they say  

The hotel has gone to sleep now

As grief shows on my brow

Head in my hands

I just don’t understand

I’m not a stupid man

But I can’t work this out

I can’t shout

I have no words left in me

Is this a nightmare?

A mistake?

Will I wake up

And this all goes away?

I pray this pain you will take

Lock it away and throw the key in the bin

As I so hurt deep within

Looking at my watch in the shadow of the night

It stopped at mid-day

That can’t be right?

For that was the time you were to be mine

Our hands were to entwine

How can this be?

You belonged to me

 

 Fiona Cummings ©

No comments: