translate

Wednesday 13 January 2016

PAINTED WIZARD OF OZ AND THE HAIRDRYER


 Well, my painter is a very interesting man. I’m delighted to say that he looks like he is on a course of success. I hope he is getting his life together, he says he is. I really hope so. We do chat about everything. Well. Almost. I gave him his coffee. First time I have been to the sugar jar in a while. And saw that there is hardly any left. Because  I don’t use it neither does Hub or Teen in general, I always get a shock when I see how little there is, then I remember it has been six or so weeks since I remembered to put it in my shopping basket. Good job he is only here today or, tomorrow’s coffee?

 I guess I could take a walk early in the morning to buy some. 

So what were he and I talking about, well, after his troubles bless him and again thankfully he seems to be on top of those right now, other than that,

 The wizard of Oz.

A tale which we all find innocent I’m sure. According to my painter, far from it. So just with a few words from him, I decided to do some research.

 

The tale of a girl and her dog travelling the yellow brick road, with characters such as the scarecrow and the tin man? Well, the actress Judy Garland was christened Frances Gum.

She at the age of sixteen was given cocaine to keep her awake and sleeping pills to make her sleep.

She was made a stole from fir and the designer made it so it could hold a flask and it was full of vodka.

The first tin man as there were two, his costume was made from paint and he had a reaction to it ended up not being able to play the part but on breathing machines for the rest of his life. The second tinman his costume was still made from aluminium, but rather than paint, they used paste so was better for him.

The scarecrow had scars for a year after the movie with the glue they used and the snow in the film was asbestos.

 

The set temperatures oftern exceeded more than 100 degrees.

 

In L. Frank Baum’s 1900 novel, “The wonderful wizard of Oz. Dorothy’s slippers was silver but in the movie they were ruby to take advantage of the technical wow colour.

Multi pairs of slippers were made and one pair were stolen in 2005

Judy Garland couldn’t stop laughing in the scene when she had to slap the cowardly lion, so the director came and slapped her.

The lions costume was auctioned for 3 million dollars.

Liza Minnelli daughter of Judy in real life married the real Son of the tin man.

The poor dog in the movie got stood on by one of the munchkins perhaps deliberately? They were paid $100 per week whereas the dog was paid $150

 

Over the rainbow the famous song almost didn’t make the movie.

 

The wicked witch was burned badly during making the film.

 

Gosh, wow. Suddenly it all seems to be wrong, one of the first productions Hub and I did at school was the Wizard of Oz. He oddly was the lion. I was Aunt Em. Haha. I have said before another production we did he was a vicar and I was his house keeper. As I have also said before, nothing has changed there, right?

 

It was that play when I know now what I know about why Hub and I should have been together from the day we parted at 12. Not noon, but twelve years old.

 

OK, more drama with my painter. I think he is using the hairdryer on my paint to hurry it up. Oh good grief. Odd expression I have just used. Good grief? Is there such a thing and where does good grief expression come from? Its origin? Well all I know is seems to be in place of Good God.  That is all I know that it sounds like it the G word. If you know better, educate a Fifi. OK going to get teen out of bed whilst the coast is clear. Yet another English phrase. My English students can tick with a red pen to use in their next essays. Smile. PS painter gone for long lunch. He wanted to come back tomorrow its one in the afternoon for goodness sake. No, you can finish it today. So the hairdryer didn’t work…. Laters

 

 

No comments: