translate

Monday 11 January 2016

THE FUTURE FOR THE BLIND BY FIONA CUMMINGS


THE FUTURE FOR THE BLIND

BY FIONA CUMMINGS  

What has my future got in store for me?

An every day gift under a Christmas tree?

It could be tied together with the finest bow

I could ski in the thickest snow

Find my gold at the end of the rainbow

If this was all given to me I would say no

For I would wear rags

My possessions would all fit in two bags

Just to be able to see the light

The sun

The stars at night

The single swan on the lake

Sipping water next to the drake

My smile wouldn’t be fake

But my identity

Cup half full

Never empty

Life would be quality

Rather than quantity

If sight was my destiny

Remove my chains

Release my pains

Allow fresh blood to flow to my veins

Clear my head of all I dread

Starve the hurt what once was fed

Who has this gift of sight I desire

Keeping those warm in an amber fire

Can’t you see what sight would mean to me?

I’m stronger now than I thought I would ever be

But give me wings and set me free

No diamond rings or sailing on the sea

Just turn on my light

Hear my plight

I’m exhausted no longer wish to fight

I ask of nothing other than to see like you

Orange sunsets hugged by skies so blue

To be able to visit those who aren’t near

To see a deer

Or a tropical fish

Simple things like what’s in my dish

On my plate

What is my fate?

Why not tell me?

A year, two or three?

Perhaps never will I be given sight to see

The beauty before me

Maybe this is my life now

To learn to live in the darkness

Face the madness

Hand to my bruise

Give up I lose

Is this what you want are you playing a game?

Who decided to pick my name?

Others never seem to have difficulties

They have all of their faculties

They can walk talk and hear

An yet others struggle in fear

Was it something we did in our past?

Well how long does this punishment last?

I have learned to adjust to my way of life

But to get here cut like a knife

Stabbed in the heart

Like my body did part

From a world I knew

My smooth edges looked chewed

People so rude

But I had the last laugh

As now I’m  so much stronger than they are

Yes they do see the silver  star

And their loved ones are never too far

But I know compassion

And can give empathy

Alright it’s not the fashion

To care, share be there

But those I show love to, come back to me

Whereas others with everything are a lost soul

Perhaps this is the answer

 You are a chancer

I do not want to play your game

I will be the shoulder for the lain

I will transcribe for the blind

And listen for the deaf

Our kitchen won’t have a fancy chef

But always have the kettle on

And all will be welcome to come along

My heart is open

My words are spoken

And if I were to get sight

I would never forget my fight

For those still in the dark

I would be their light

 

Copyright Fiona Cummings

No comments: