translate

Sunday 17 January 2016

ROAR BY FIONA CUMMINGS FOR THE PARENTS OF LITTLE CAITLIN RUDDY


ROAR

BY FIONA CUMMINGS

The distant roar

The grain of sand

I want to hold your hand

I need you to walk through the door

I put a shell to my ear

It’s your voice I can hear

Your laughter blows in the wind

Your smile is in the sun

You’re free to run

In pastures green

My darling Princess will become a queen

I look to the ocean

For a second it’s an evil potion

I remember the emotion

Knock to my world

My little girl

Hair of gold

Words in a swirl

They said you had gone

Couldn’t carry on

Your heart stopped in fright

On that cold January night

In shock

My insides did lock

Words said to me I wanted to block

You weren’t coming back to me

A life full of misery

How could I go on?

Looking at still water

So green and calm

How could that have taken my daughter?

And why?

I look to the sky

I need answers

Always the chancer

Never played safe

Why did you go out that night?

“Stay in where it’s warm?”

But you were a free spirit

If you had stayed just for one more minute?

 Would that have saved you?

Ocean so blue

These words are true

You took my baby

Into your night so navy

A salted mermaid

It’s you I hate

 How long do I wait

To hear your explanation

Where is my daughter’s destination?

My heart is in threads

My darling child is dead

Because of you

This view

In front of me

They call it the sea

It’s the devil to me

Nothing good about it

Here I sit

Upon a rock

Bitter blades bruise my gaze

In the foggy haze

I pray

My daughter will return one day

This will have all been a nightmare

Yes, I see her now, she’s there

The salt bites at my lips

My feet in the icy water dips

I put out my arms to touch her

But I’m pulled back by her father

He holds me we breakdown

We fall to the ground

Don’t care who is around

They know us

They fuss

Try to help

But among the kelp

Is footprints

I hope my princess meets with her Prince

 

Fiona Cummings ©

For the family of

Caitlin Ruddy

R.I.P little girl.

No comments: