translate

Friday 19 April 2013

THE DEEP


THE DEEP

BY FIONA CUMMINGS

 

Oh it was dreadful, I had to get out. I was struggling and my chest was getting tighter. As though a wall of hell was before me. Fists were pushing me back. Back to where I had been trying to get free from. Pushing me to a place where by if I were to spend a minute more, I would certainly die.

There must be a gap in the wall of death?

I by that point was finding it impossible to breathe. My lungs were filling up with water, I was drowning. I could feel the bottom of the  river. I knew where I was and I knew it was about three metres deep. It was a fast flowing river and my legs were scraping along the rocks. Oh God. The water was really burning my eyes. They were so dry; I no longer could open them.

I was panicking and found it now an impossibility to breathe in an when I exhaled, the pain was dreadful.

My arms now were so week and felt as though they were being squeezed by elastic bands.

My legs were cut and I had cramp in my right leg. I, heaving a weight, hopelessly hiding any gaps to life.

Just needed to get out but my swimming was never very good. I just wanted another chance.

But how could I be so stupid? I mean, this is what I wanted. I wanted to die. I wanted to meet with death this way. I was totally aware the the water around here was dangerous.

I  should just relax and let myself go further down to meet with the estuary. Once I got there, I would never escape.

Why was I even fighting the fury of the lethal liquid?

Flashbacks now of my life, guiding me into my death.

My enemies pointing to me, laughing at me. Calling my name chanting for me to give up.

Heavy hands, pushing me down, my breath

   Then I saw her. I promise I did.  Her hair a little more silver and her skin more perfect than I remembered. Her eyes were free of pain and sparkled like diamonds. Her smile brightly beamed like fresh water pearls. Her lips were blood red and her what was once aging body was younger and more flexible than I ever remembered?

She placed her arms around me and lifted me to a pipe in the water with substance coming from it, something I really would rather not know what it was?

But I could see the light and feel the fresh air,  I could hear real life and watched a man jump in and swim to me. He was a strong man, with dark hair, his fringe swept across his brow, as his head never once made contact with the water. The trust I put in the man, the strength he showed me. The kindness and love which came from his warm face was unbelievable.

In his arms I was cradled and taken to safety. To a new life.

Had I died and gone to heaven? Was this man my angel? I tell you, four years later, a band of yellow gold on my finger and two small babies, he is my angel. My saviour and my love. He became my husband and is the Father to our two twin girls. Thank God I didn’t die that day  and my Mother saved me. It was her I saw in the water and she was in a happy body now and a happy life she had. It was not my time, I had to live. My Husband was waiting for me.

Before that day we had never met, but now we are never apart.

How different my life is now? You never know what is around the corner?

Never give up, no matter how hard life’s challenges are thrown at you?

Don’t give up today, as tomorrow, you may wish for life to go on forever.

 

No comments: