translate

Saturday 27 April 2013

OLD EGGS


What do you think about older parents? I have been listening to Radio 4’s woman’s hour today and they were talking about older parenting. It was sad to hear a lady talk about her Mother who was in her late thirties when she had her and her Father was in his early fifties. Her Mother died when the now, lady was ten, and her Father then took seriously ill. So the young girl then, spent her teen years worrying about her Dad having a fall, grieving over her dead Mother and thinking at the age of thirteen, about finances and death. Being without parents still in her childhood too.

She is now twenty three and has no parents at all. It’s so sad. I was twenty nine when I lost my Dad and thirty when my Mum died. I had a one year old baby and the pain was unbearable.

All my life too, I was away at boarding school, each night I worried about if my Mum had remembered to take her tablets for her heart? Would my Dad be OK down the pit, as he was in his sixties and worked seventeen hours a day? I knew at a young age, he was too old to do such hard work. He lay flat or if he was lucky, he cut the coal on his knees. I never slept for worry.

I remember when I was four. Wondering how I would live without my parents? They were forty and forty seven years older than me.

I was in my late twenties when I had teen. I was told I was so called an older parent? I was shocked at that as I was at a great age I thought, as I had a house and I could afford to give my child the best life possible.

If I was twenty, I would not be in that place.

What age is right? I think still, late twenties. Emotionally and financially. I am not too old or too young. I do think though after the age of thirty, you are starting to get a little old?

Though my parents were kind and gave their lives to me. But this is not good for the child, as I felt so guilty all of my childhood.

 I am now a parent of my teen and I miss my parents every day. I need them every day too, though to be honest, I looked after them, for many of their latter years.

Fifteen years is forever to be without a Mum and Dad.

If they got me when they were late twenties, they would still be here now. A friend of mine is almost fifty and her Dad is eighty, how lucky is she? Still having her two parents. That is how it should be.

There is a reason why women find it hard to have children after a certain age that is not for them, but for the children who have no say in the matter of when they are born into this world.

 

 

 

 

No comments: