translate

Sunday 14 April 2013

SHORT STORY FEAR FROM THE RIVER VOLGA


My apologies to my Russian Blogget family and friends. Many years have passed since I had to spell  Russian words. The words I remember, but the spelling? Mind you, having said that, I am English, and I don’t get the spellings right of my Mother tongue either? Here is another short story!

 FEAR FROM  THE RIVER VOLGA

BY FIONA CUMMINGS

My name is Sergei and I am from Russia. I am of an age where by I remember things, oh yes, I remember things!

It was the cold  harsh winter of 1978. I was just in our apartment from Kindergarten.

Sasha, my best friend was with me and Mama had served us some Borsch and black bread. We had a  fun morning from seven thirty when our class began till two. So we were ready for our lunch.

Papa, was working away. I missed him, he had been away for about well, I would say the whole of the autumn and most of the winter. For sure he was not here at the most important time of the year, when we received a visit from Father Frost, with his sack of gifts.

All I wanted was my Papa. Every time I asked about him, my Mama cried, so I learned to not say his name. In fact I was starting to forget his face too, as Mama, had removed the old black and white photograph, of him in the army as a brave soldier from the piano. It had been replaced with more of Mama’s music books. I  was learning to hate the piano, as I heard it morning and night. My  Mama,  gave lessons to the children in our block and in return, she was given in summer, vegetables from the neighbours Dacha’s and by winter, we received jars of pickled whatever could be grown in the country retreats.

Sometimes  my Mama  had one of the children from Leninski Prospect. The Golovanov family. They were rich kids. They wore  western clothes. Mama used to say to my Babushka, that the family of the Golovanovs, never went abroad, so it was beyond her how they got western clothing?

They were awful children. Boris and Mikhail. They were eight and nine. Their Mother used to drop the children off  at our Doma and Sasha and I used to laugh behind the kitchen doorway, as we peeped looking at the lady. She looked like the tea cosies, the ones the tourists were all obsessed by, the tea cosies, that were the big round Babushkas. She was like a round tennis ball and wore her hair pinned tightly up high on her head. Her cheeks were round and looked like they were going to burst.

They were red and shiny with perspiration. She puffed and panted like an old steam boat from the 1940s perhaps on the river Volga?

“Borja Moy!”  She would exclaim to my Mama. Complaining about the elevators not working again.

I hated  it when they worked, as Mama used to use them with me and they terrified me. A tiny dark box with a cage on the front you had to manually pull closed. They always stunk of cats pee.

You never got them to stop at the floor? They would stop just before or just after. Sometimes they were so high, when I was just tiny, before I was three, Mama had to get out first.

“Padajdi, she would say, so I did as I was told and waited, until she got out and turned to carry me out. Then slam, as we again closed the cage doors. You could see all  of the mechanisms as you travelled from floor adeen, to our floor, Vosim.

The eighth floor and high in the snowy sky, but our apartments were always hot in winter, as was everyone’s in those days. We had no say when our heating got turned on, the government decided on that one?

If we needed some fresh air, we would open the stiff wooden balcony window. They were todays modern double glazed windows. As in two sets of windows, with about a gap, of 5 inches, in between the two windows.

Rickety but warm.

We didn’t have washing machines like I do now in my apartment. We would wash our clothes in the bath. We would have to hang them on the tiny balcony and in winter, they would come in so stiff with the days of minus 22 and below

The Golovanov family left me feeling colder than I did walking home from our Kinta garden.

They were bad, I didn’t know why at the time, just I knew my Mama was terrified of them and my Papa, would come home and Mama would cry in his arms as he looked over her shoulder at me with tears in  his eyes.

“Shtotakoy?” I would ask them, but they never answered my question of what was the matter?

My parents had no privacy, un like Russia now days? We had a tiny kitchen, a small bathroom and one room where we shared it with not only the three of us, Mama, Papa and myself, but my Babushka and of course the piano, the well stocked bookshelf, the dining table, the television and the old couch that was used as a bed for my Grandmother and myself. Mama and Papa, slept behind a curtain next to the door leading to the hall.

It was life, a simple life, ruled by fear.

Fear of the Golovanovs.

It was only when I was an adult, I knew the exact goings on between our two families.

 

CH 2

I never saw my Papa again. I watched my Mama crumble and start to look as the same age as my Babushka. As Perestroika gave us  our freedom, it also took away our old traditions. No one wanted to sit for six to nine hours a day playing piano until our fingers were numb. We had the money now,  we  had the knowledge of corruption. We paid for our exam results and knew nothing, but didn’t need to. Flash of cash and on our way, but where? To go where? To do what?

The KGB, was replaced with a stronger form of the Russian mafia. Don’t misunderstand me, there  has always been mafia in the former Soviet Union  just there were other organisations too, so the mafia, were just a fringe for the head and it was the head, which made my Papa disappear.

My Mama died in 1988. At the age of forty one.

She was the size in weight of an eight year old girl. The Doctors said, cause of death, “A broken heart!”

I was a sixteen year old boy, living with my aging Babushka, who was in her early seventies, but since the loss of my Papa an now her daughter in law, my Mama, my Babushka, had lost her children. Her history and all she had was her future in me, so I battled to show her I would make it in life, unlike her son, and poor daughter in law.

Money was invisible, but I was determined not to go down the path of my Papa and make it against all odds in the new USSR.

My best friend from all those years ago, Sasha, had flown from his motherland and followed the dream of  the pot of gold in the USA. His  Papa, was Moscow’s top Scientist,  and his Mama, could paint, she was an amazing artist, so her work could travel. In Russia, she didn’t make much money, but in the USA, they just loved her art of days gone by and Russian peasants with the backdrop of the beautiful detailed statues and wonderful golden domed architecture.

  As for Sasha, he was still at school, but a school in America, in Washington. He was studying all the sciences and wanted to  further his knowledge of science and, engineering in further education.

So he was, or, would do well.  As for me, the one good thing which came out of Perestroika, was the fact that entrepreneurs were born.

My Papa used to sit me on his knee as a small boy about five and tell me stories of how to educate the public into believing that they could not live a full life, without the product that you had to sell them.

I would take a pencil to school and sell it, buy another one with the money and have Kopeks left over. Save them in my wooden painted mushroom which stood on top of our bookshelf in our room. After half a year, I would have enough money to buy other  things for school and then I would visit the confectionary store and buy sweets and cakes then sell them to school friends for a rouble, knowing they would cost me 80Kp

I would give two sweets to my friends and tell them if I found out they had given one away to a friend, I would give them the money back for one of them and next time they bought from me, I would give them a free sweet.

So the boys in my class would take two sweets, pay for two, I would see them hand one sweet over or hear of it, I would give them money back and a sweet. So more people would be eating my goodies, but if I was just to give them out, it would be like I am trying to sell them, if one boy sees his friend has that brand of sweet, the one  with the picture on of their favourite cartoon character, he would want the same as his friends, like a pyramid?

It worked. I made a lot of money, enough to buy bread and cheese on the way home and if I had  earned enough, I would buy kielbasa. Babushka and I loved that.

So that was where I was heading, but as a child I could buy pencils, Kopeks would be enough to satisfy. In the real world, we needed more, it was US $’s that had replaced our Roubles and they were hard to  earn.

The Golovanov family still lived in Leninski Prospect now days they had houses all over the world. Thanks to  poor people like my Papa.

The hatred I had for that family, was killing me and it killed my Papa and Mama, hurt my Babushka  like hell  I was going to let them destroy me?

 

CH 3

Because of what my family had told me, I knew all about the dirty dealings the Golovanov family dealt with.

I knew their darkest secrets and how they treat people to get where they are now. I just had to learn how to break them. This was not going to be easy, as they had power, power brought on by fear and wealth. People worked for them or they died. They went against them, or questioned them at all, they found themselves disappearing.

Way back in 1976, my Papa agreed to travel around Russia and  deliver packages from the Golovanov family, to their clients. He had been a Post master all his young life, so this was the next stage, he thought. He was a “Delivery person!” Only rather than letters placed in the pigeon holes of apartments, he hand delivered boxes of the gifts given by the Golovanov family, as they did work for charity and because of their wealth, loved to help people out when they could, people like my Papa, who worked for water and in the roughest temperatures of Moscow’s winters, battled through the slushy snow to get from building to building. Mama struggled looking after me with my Babushka as I was only four. Papa’s wage was not enough. With me running around  the apartment,  Mama could not take her students to learn the piano. It was  only a couple of years later, when I could stay in the kitchen, drawing on the rough paper, on our table, which squeezed in between the window and  refrigerator.

It was a two seater table painted over and over again. It belonged to my Babushka, from her Mama’s house sixty years  before, my Babushka would say, the family took turns to eat at the  small table. There were four chairs but we had no room for them and one had a leg which kept dropping out of the joist.

So that went its journey.

One day in 1977, my Papa was to take a large parcel to an office in Tashkent. Sadly, someone wanted his delivery. They met him and left him for dead, of course removing the Golovanovs so called, kind offerings.

Naturally, my Papa, wanted to know why this had happened? He asked the round shiny lady who used to leave  me with the worst taste in my mouth, after dropping her awful sons off to learn piano all those years ago.

Well, her false smiles turned as sour as the Smantana we would drink for breakfast each morning.

My Papa was a happy man before he met with the Golovanovs. He went to the post office and tried to get his old  job back, but the Master told him he was nothing but trash now he mixed with the Golovanov family’s My Papa asked, pleading for an explanation, of what this man, who stood with him as a friend two years before meant?

The man walked away from him.

My Papa told the Golovanovs he no longer wanted to work for them. They told him my Mama would continue teaching the boys piano, free of charge and he would work with them.

Mr Golovanov showed his head and he had until this day, had never been seen? He brought with him, two men dressed in leather jackets, sporting ID’s, showing they were members of the KGB.

My Papa knew, he was mixing with an illegal organisation.

One day on one of his journeys to pass on a parcel, he decided to open it.

There the answer was, wrapped in paper, and a sheet of cloth, under small copies of Matrioshkas. You know the wooden dolls, which nest many more dolls inside, getting smaller as they go?

Well not these Matrioshka’s. These ones had no dolls inside. But they were not empty?

And there the guns lay, looking as evil and full of torture as the Golovanov family members faces.

Papa didn’t know what the white substance was in the dolls, but learned.

A short time after then, my dear Papa, was never seen again.

It was 1996, and I owned two large department stores in the centre of Moscow’s,  Kuznetsky prospect, a hilly street, which runs behind the famous Bolshoi Theatre, which leads to the former headquarters of the KGB, on Lubyanka.  A location which has been the sight of Moscow’s most fashionable shops! The stamping ground of the city’s Beau Monde so drawing on this reputation, many luxury shops can be found here, and I am proud to say, I am the  owner of two of them, with the help of my very best friend Sasha and his family.


My Papa and Sasha’s Papa, were best friends going well back  from the days of their Kindergarten, just like Sasha and myself.


I’m not a taker though, I give almost all I earn back to the family who had become my adopted family since the death of my Babushka seven years earlier. They could never know how grateful I am to them?


Sasha knows of my plight, my fight to end the dirty money and wasted lives of the Golovanov family and has on many occasions had to get me out of very nasty situations with his connections all the way from the USA.


Thankfully now we are an open country, misdealing’s, can be easily reported, as Russia doesn’t want a bad reputation.


A small community in Moscow, from my block, who have made it in the Western way now, have joined with me to crush the evil of the Golovanovs, whom destroyed our families, in one way or another.


We get pride in watching the two poisoned boys, now in their late twenties, walk into walls, walls blocked by a word they will never know.


Friendship.


“Druzhba!” And this is the name of the second shop we own. As we are a co-operative.


Together and we together will break the Golovanovs. It may take years, but as I stand on the  Lenin hills, looking down along the ski slope, with my wife Marina, we talk about the bad times we suffered through the Golovanovs. Marina’s Father was the Head of the former KGB and had running’s with the family we are fighting against and he promises me, my family’s name and memory will be proud of what we  can all achieve.


 When that day comes, I will watch the round woman and her mean Husband hold onto their sons as they drowned in the river Volga!

No comments: