translate

Sunday 26 January 2014

THE CROWNE PLAZA PART 1


I had everything ready to leave. Put on my shoes and coat as the weather was dreadful. My taxi awaited and off we went. The driver was in hysterics as I checked my shoes in transit, as I had a moment of dread, thinking, I have two pairs of shoes almost the same, and had the momentary thought I had odd shoes on, but thank God I hadn’t.

Anyway, got to the station. I had spent a while on my hair straightening out the waves only to be soaked at the train station. It had a roof, but it was as much use as a chocolate tea pot.

My train came and I was delighted to find out it was almost empty…

So in my seat and I tried to make myself look normal. You know, one of those accustomed travellers.

Took out my kindle, popped in my earphones and tried to look chilled, like, “Travel? Pa, whatever!”

Rather than. “Oh my God, what on earth am I doing? What will be the outcome, where is the man to check my tickets, and I can’t hear the blooming announcement of if I am on the right train?

OK, us blind people are meant to have exceptional hearing, but, I was unable to hear the announcement, so continued with my chilled look….

I must say, my book was great and did pass an hour before I decided to turn it off and prepare myself for what was to follow.

After two and a half hours, I arrived. I gathered myself and with my white cane found the door, without grabbing onto someone’s wig and removing it as I grabbed the nearest thing as the train took a sudden jerk!

I didn’t trip over a bag in the isle and do the full length of the carriage and was able to find the door… Thank God, it was opened so I didn’t have to look as though I was painting the inside of the train walls with my hands.

Got off it without breaking my leg in the gap and thank God I was met by a member of staff and took to the taxi. Then the driver asked my hotel name I told him, he asked was that the Crowne Plaza on this street?

“No, not that one.

He said on the avenue?

No, by this time I was panicking... Luckily I had my mobile and had the sense to write the full address down.

Told him and on we went. I wondered though if I had not done that, what would have happened, but there are three Crowne Plaza’s in Edinburgh

We arrived I went to reception. It was a warm and peaceful hotel. I gave my name and explained I was to be in my husband’s room and it was all organised.

Well, she did that thing you know, where she doesn’t know how to put something?

Oh God… I was in the wrong hotel…

The tension built up and I then told her how to spell my name…

Few, she found us. Thank God for that.

A member of staff took me to the room and there I was.

Part two later.

No comments: