translate

Monday 27 January 2014

SHORT STORY A SUMMER MORNING


We all need the sun, so here is a short story about the summer.

 

 How wonderful life can be. To wake in the morning, the fragrance of freshly grounded coffee coming from the kitchen downstairs. The narrow winding stairs. The kitchen is just to the right of the staircase past the old bookshelf, which I am amazed, has survived as my Great Uncle made it out of driftwood I think? Unless that was a family joke or something. But that is what I was told. He was a sailor you see. There are a few books in there, some old with spines all dimpled with years of reading them and constant turning of pages.

The shelves now have small nicknacks on them, you know the kind you can’t really part with as they hold fond memories, but you don’t like them enough to put on proper show!

I can hear my Husband now, clinking the cups as he prepares my morning drink.

The curtains blow gently in the breaze from our window, which is ajar as the summer nights are suffocating when one is trying to sleep.

Mr. Bewick was cutting his grass this morning that is what woke my Husband and me up.  As soon as my Husband is awake, he has to get out of bed, me? Nope, I can just lay here and take in the morning outside and in my house, in the comfort of my bed.

I love the colours on our bedroom walls. Two shades of apricot against the bright white gloss work

The brass light fitting sparkled with the sunlight coming through the sides of the pulled down blind, which like the curtains, was blowing. Such a calm breaze, like an angel blowing with her rosebud lips.

My Husband came to me with a cup of coffee and sat on the chair next to the bed as we listened to the radio show we enjoy together.

After that, time to get up. A walk along the riverside is in order for today. At the other side of the river is a small train track which has the odd trains every now and then which chug along, taking passengers on their way to the beach not far away.

Basket packed and a wonderful summer pick nick we shall have.

 

No comments: