translate

Wednesday 29 January 2014

MY BOAT SHORT STORY BY FIONA CUMMINGS


Short story

MY BOAT

BY FIONA CUMMINGS

To feel the warmth upon my face as I sail further into the teal sea’s, with the salt exfoliating my skin. The smell of new air. The swishing of the water pressing against my boat. Clinking of wood with a back fold of slapping waves echoing reverberating off the well-used boat I call the silver mermaid.

There is nothing quite like that smell. Salted dust scatters recklessly like a tent of therapeutic vibes, injecting itself through my body, nostrils widen to take in as much sea air as possible like a junky addicted to his fix!

What is out there in the far distance? Who else shares this vast land with me?

I wonder why other people were on the water. For what reason on this day would they be here?

I find myself eating the sky. Like a child morishly munching at an ice-cream on that red hot July afternoon.

 My fingers grip tight as we sale, the silver and me, into rough terrain

I almost experienced broaching as the  what can be deadly dark charging ocean decided to treat me as it’s enemy, so quickly had to hold out my palm as a simple of peace and had to bear away from the wind. Using the bailer to remove as much water as possible from the awash, to expose once again the brightwork, seeing it Gleeman against the suns crystals of gritted salted stars, was a relief!

I hungerly grabbed at the bearstone and started to clean the wood, as for the arch board, that would have to wait until we returned ashore.

Coming to the bar, we would sail with care into once again a tank of tranquil teasing turquoise waters and triumphantly, sail until I use the bowline, bight and bar knots again to tie my Silver to a place of safety so one can lay back and have fond day dreams of a Keel, sang by my grandfather when I was a small child.

The movement of the boat sent me to sleep. Seagulls sang me a la la bye and chimes from bells on boats beyond the white whispering waves spoke to me gently.

The sea is a funny thing. Mans killers, a torture terror, like a disgruntled teenager or a two year old with pure frustration over not being able to communicate enough to say what they wanted. The sea can be a place of perfection. Paradise holidays and for an artist, one would imagine to use a frame would be a sin.

I must call it a day now, but what a day. I am sure my boat and I will have more adventures as this is a place I can be myself. I am in control.

Well, that is until the ocean decides my fate?

 

No comments: