translate

Monday 21 March 2016

DIETING BY FIONA CUMMINGS



Dieting has been a way of life

But just one slice of cake with the handy knife

Carrots rather than a snack

But chocolates in a colourful pack

Are so much more appealing

The smell of dinners gets me drooling

But salad it is

And juice rather than fizz

I’m told I should diet

But do calories count if I’m quiet?

They must

As the tape around my waist and bust

The numbers are going up

I’m told they need to come down

So I wear a frown

As I munch my way through everything green

Saying no to cream

Gosh this is so dull

I want to feel full

Not another lettuce leaf?

Oh more grief

As I stand on the scales

Listening in disbelief

You could hear me wail

I come over all pale

As I hover

 Wondering if I should bother?

It will only be bad news

And for what?

Other people’s views?

Slicing my way through meal preparation

Wondering in desperation

What can I eat that will fill me with delight

Not something light

But stodgy

Though then I will be podgy

I’m told I need to be lean

Counting that last baked bean

Removing from my shopping trolley butter

I hear my stomach mutter

 “Put back that cake

You’ve made a mistake”

My groceries are fake

Look what’s on my plate?

Is this my fate?

To be obsessed with food?

They say I will feel so good

 Right now I feel like banging my head on wood

Keep going

From spring rain falls summer autumn now it’s snowing

And I still gain

This dieting is such a pain

 

© Fiona Cummings

No comments: