translate

Tuesday 23 February 2016

THROUGH MY EYES BY FIONA CUMMINGS


THROUGH MY EYES

BY FIONA CUMMINGS

Through my eyes I don’t see

Because I have what’s known as RP

I was robbed of sight

Though I fought with all my might

Thought positive every day

That a cure would come my way

But light turned to grey

Then pink and red

My cells were dead

As was I

My days I would dread

I wanted to die

My eyes were sore all I could do was cry

As the red turned to brown

I had never felt so down

How to tell the time

The face in the mirror wasn’t mine

Why was I put in jail?

I hadn’t committed a crime

I couldn’t get out

No one heard as I began to shout

It was as if I was invisible

This life wasn’t possible

No more colours

As my memory faded

The day had come I was deflated

Lost among the crowd

I was gagged though in my head I was loud

People went by

I asked myself why?

No one stopped to say hello

No one knocked on my door

Doctors treat me like I had done wrong

I had never felt so alone

I would pick up the phone but who to call?

I couldn’t see the pages

To find the numbers

I went in stages

To find where I am now

But I still ask

Why, and how?

I’m not a bad person

So why put this on me?

A label called RP

Is it a curse,

and will it be reversed?

Who knows?

What our future hosts

Countries boast

Who knows the most

But don’t they realise

They are playing with our lives

And all those who care

Our children wait

To learn of their fate

Such little things we struggle with

Like finding food on our plate

Wanting to walk free along a beach

Or buy clothes on our own

See our childrens faces

As they grow

I hope we will find a cure

Before I’m too old

 

Fiona Cummings ©

No comments: