translate

Tuesday 9 February 2016

DIARY OF THE EXCITEMENT OF ART AND THE PANCAKE


Good evening Bloggets. Well, as the night drawers its curtains, the burning wood smell is in the air from the local wood burners heating their houses, my house has the left over fragrance of pancakes that we had for dinner tonight as in the UK its Shrove Tuesday one of my most favourite day of the year. I love pancakes and more so love the idea of lent. To give up something to show respect not only to our religion, but mainly in my case give up something to try to have some kind of self-respect for one’s self. And I show what respect I have for myself as I fail every year, but the thought is there and I mean it when I think of it.

 

Some say that pancake Tuesday was originally a Pagan holiday. It is to fight off the winter and welcome the spring. The hot round pancake represented the sun.  The word shrove is a form of the English word shrives, which means to obtain absolution for ones sins by way of confession, and doing penance.

Oh heck, do I need to confess?  Hehehe

 

You are to eat the rich fatty foods before the fasting season of lent. Shrove Tuesday has different names but is a date all over the world. From England to Hawaii. Australia and Portugal. So many countries unite in this tradition and in our family of three, this is what we do. Tradition. For me it represents a new start. The spring is on its way and that means nice weather after  a dreadful long winter of dark cold wet windy sometimes icy and for sure artificial lighting and even when we are blind, we know the difference between when there is a light on in the house and natural light is allowed through the  windows.

 

And how better to start the coming of spring, than with my friend. Today was a great day for me. I got up early after a very odd and not pleasant evening and during the night got worse… But I got up to a happy Waggatail who is always so pleased to see me and full of love. Teen had left the house at six and Hub half six and I was up by quarter past eight to take breakfast and letWagga out before a quick vacuum of the house before our joiner came to finish off his work for us. That made me so happy, not only did he do a fantastic job, charge very little but he hung my blind in my new room/office put a door on the room and the best gift he hung my beautiful painting from my dearest artist friend Beth Wright Medor from the US. I bought a frameless frame if you know what I mean? Like a sheet of glass as I didn’t want anything to obstruct the painting. I’m honoured to have a part of her work on my wall. In fact privileged. Well, what a funny story? I know how to find funny people in my life.

 

So the joiner who is a great guy, he has made me a beautiful cupboard, I showed him the picture, told him my friend is an artist but she has RP same as me only difference is, she can still see. He looked at the painting held the frame and told me how beautiful the picture is. I was beaming like a Cheshire cat that had found the cream. I was proud. Well, he put the nail in the wall and asked me where I had put the frame? Well, I told him I gave it to him. He said no, he hasn’t got it. I looked everywhere as did he. I said it must be standing against the wall on the floor, so we looked there. Nope. Well, this is the same man who yesterday said hello to my Hub as he came in from work and the Little Fella took a dislike towards the joiner and began to bark. Hub explained that his blonde boy was just a young dog and meant no harm. The guy laughed talked about him and this morning when I was explaining why we had a child gate, mind you, it isn’t quite a child gate, in fact it’s not at all a child gate but a clothes horse…. Anyway the joiner replied. “Do you have another dog?” I picked my jaw up and replied. “Chad, you saw it yesterday. He is a golden lab tall and he barked at you.” The guy couldn’t remember. Gosh, that shocked me as Waggatail is jet black tiny too and LF is tall leggy blonde. Smile. Em. There is a bit of a difference? He stroked Wagga yesterday played with her a little bit then saw LF and yet he had no recollection. So he couldn’t remember me giving him the frame. Though I knew I had.

 

Long story short, he eventually said. I have just the middle bit. I asked him what he meant the middle bit. He replied. Just the glass…… Not the frame…..

Oh,

My,

Life!

 

I exclaimed that it was a frameless picture frame… hahahahahahahehehehhehehehehehe

 

Oh what a dope. I guess we both were. So it got hung up and he put the picture in for me how brilliant not to have to ask Teen to do that or I would have had to wait till Christmas. As I have been asking him for two weeks now. So it was all ready to go on the wall if my electrician came. So that leads me onto the next great thing. I got another number for an electrician from the joiner. He said he was great guy. That is all I need to know. So now I will call him and get him to come and fix our really dangerous lights.

 

The joiner said if I have any jobs no matter how small he will do them for me. Wowowowoowowowoww excited dot com.

 

Now to sort out a gardener and I bet the joiner will know one too, but I didn’t want to scare him like I was journalist from the Daily Mail trying to get all of his contacts….

 

He left I gave him £10 over the price he asked for. He was given it in a bundle. He took it to his van to drive off. Next thing I know, there is a knock to the door. He is standing there and told me that I had given him too much money. I said no, it was meant to be. It was for all the hard work he did. He was so grateful bless him but more so, how honest? Have I got myself a pearl at last?

 

Then it was time to meet a gent for a coffee…. He wanted me to write something for him. I met him last week and again this week so pre and after haircut. Then, I went to the shop with Waggs and met a friend who works there and he was the same, a little like everyone else… He didn’t even notice I have had inches cut off my hair? I passed a neighbour they didn’t notice either.  So by now I was getting a bit of a complex. Oh what have I done? Hub last night said he didn’t like it. Short hair reminds him of his ex…. Haha. Em. Ok. He did add that my hair was so much nicer than the ladies, but still? Anyway, I am now thinking, heck, and Granny hair? What have I done, though I do trust teen and he said he loves it?

 

On my way to the shop I was terrified. I heard a huge machine. Was it digging up the road? Were we about to fall down a hole? I slowed down and told Wagga to steady and watch. Find the way, all the commands. She was amazing, she guided me so well. I totally put my trust in her. I was going to turn around a go home, then how would I feel? A let down, and hopeless. So I walked with care forward really expecting to go down this blooming hole. Well, as we passed walked over loads of branches, I realised that the massive machine making so much noise was cutting the trees.

 

We got home the same way and again Waggs did well though I half expected a tree to fall on us.

 

As I got home seconds later my friend Artie came. I knew she was coming and we had a lovely afternoon. It was so good to see her and we did coffee and doughnuts. I love her visits and she absolutely made me laugh, well the doorbell rang, she answered it and it was the Mormons. I must say it is the first time I have ever heard those people say very little as Artie talked to them for so long bless her. I was just sitting here in the Livingroom and smiling to myself.  It was her cheerful way of talking with them nonstop. Normally they do the talking and we try to close the door. Not our Artie!

 

Anyway we had a great day she gave me some lovely pre birthday presents and a lovely homemade card and even a happy birthday over the phone from her dear Hubby. She also said she loves my hair. I asked her why she thinks no one has noticed. She said because they may think it’s just tied up or tucked into my top….. I try to keep it like the hair dresser but no way it’s too curly. Teen prefers it curly to going under. I must admit I do like it but it’s much more difficult to manage. Before I washed it left it now if I don’t try to calm it down, I look like I have had a perm.

 

Tonight on TV we watched a true life documentary about India; I love anything to do with India. I am fascinated by the country. The lifestyle. This was a program about famous people in the UK leaving to retire in India. It’s been so very interesting. Hub and I sat ate gingerbread popcorn and loved the program.  And now, its bedtime. Teen is in bed tonight as tomorrow he has to be up at four. Four in the morning. Crazy.

 

Hub and the Little Fella have a big day tomorrow, mind you, they had a Peterborough day today so Hub came home tired and fed up. He hates that place and though he won’t say it as he is too professional, I know that he no longer likes people from a certain part of the country. He is used now to the hospitality of the Northerners. We rock…..

 

Mind you, there is one southerner I rather am partial to and he is called Daren Day…. He is a singer come actor and I have loved him for ever. I was pregnant with teen when I last saw him on stage. And lately he has been on a reality show. Hmmm. Dishy guy. Not as dishy as my Hub though….. Few, had to get that one in. smile.

 

Ok so a great day and tomorrow? Back to work loads to do as for housework? Well, sadly no time… Gutted. Not. Xxx

 

  

No comments: