translate

Tuesday 9 February 2016

RP AWARENESS MONTH (THE RETINITIS PIGMENTOSA FAMILY)


We are not just waiting for our days to get darker, for our loved ones faces to disappear or for us not to be able to walk free from chains metaphorically speaking of course, I mean an arm to hold or a piece of plastic like object they call the white cane. If we are fortunate we will have a guide dog to do just that guide us, not to tell us what clothes are in fashion, what make up looks good, or hair style is trending.

Our dogs stop us from walking into objects but we have to learn to trust them and sometimes we trust them and they make a mistake. We are lucky to have our guide dogs to stop at the road and if we think it’s clear to cross, hopefully, usually, our dogs if they can see traffic coming, and we can’t hear it as it may be a very windy day which affects our ability to hear the cars. Our dogs could save our life.

 

Our dogs don’t tell us what clothes size we need to find in the shops or what fruit looks good to eat. We can’t do that anymore by sight. We lay awake at nights wondering if we will be able to see in the morning as we wake. One day, we may wake up and the darkness will have prevailed.

 

How do I get to the bathroom? Which toothbrush is mine? What is shampoo and which one is shower gel? What clothes do I put on?

 And, what matches what? How do I start to cook breakfast?

 

What will I tell the kids?  Oh, the children? How will I get them to school? Who will pick them up? How will I help them with their homework? I will never see their smile again or their funny little pictures they drawer at school, as for their school photographs? A blank bit of card.

 

Letters come through my door, what do they say? It’s my birthday people don’t bother to buy me a card, why, I can’t see it! How will I get to my child’s Christmas play at school? The hall will be so full I won’t know where to sit. Even if I got there, my child is on stage but I can’t see them so my child looks at me and I’m looking elsewhere. How does that make them feel? How do my kids feel when their peers are making fun of me in front of my children?

 

 It’s the kid’s sports day at school. That won’t be easy; you have to walk around a huge field to see different sporting events. People avoid me until they get to know me and how do they do that if they avoid me?

 

My child has a birthday party one of their friends. It’s a few miles away. Getting There? I hear at the school gates parents mothers discussing car sharing, well, I don’t have a car to share so I will never be of use to them. How will I get there?

 

Personally, I was lucky in a way, I was married when my child came along but some are not. Those who aren’t how do they tell their future partners that one day they may be blind and not only that, our disease means there is a chance that our children could be born with this destabilizing eye disease too.

 

Its Russian roulette we could have four children and three could have perfect sight and the forth?

 

We could be a young teenager when we get the news. So, now to take exams? Will I be able to see print when the time comes? What career will I choose? My dream job won’t be happening now. University? How will I cope if I start and half way through I go blind? How will I get around the huge campus? Will I make friends?

 

I’m elderly my family are either older than me I don’t have children I live alone. I have just been told I have Retinitis pigmentosa and I could be blind within a couple of years. I can’t touch type I know nothing of computers how will I get my shopping in?  Cooking? Will I ever be able to cook my favourite meal again? How will I get to the Doctors? Who will pick up my prescription?

 

I’m in my late thirties and I have a wife and three children. Youngest being two. My wife is a full time Mum I’m the bread winner of the house so earn the money. I was given the news I had RP last week. After I stopped shivering in fear I freaked out wondering where we will get money from to survive. I’m a truck driver, have been since twenty one, it’s all I know really, before then, I worked in an out of town café.  What skills do I have where you don’t need sight? Who will employ me if there are ten people applying for one job, no way will they take the Mr. Ordinary who is blind. You have to be extra ordinary to get anywhere and I’m not. How am I going to tell my wife of this news?

 

I’m a business man. I own my own company. I need to drive to get places. I need to see whilst in meetings to meet and greet and to see white board’s charts etc.  How will I manage those huge conferences? Golf? I love my game of golf. I have played it since I was a child. Now how? Tennis with my pals, no more. What do I do to entertain myself?

 

How do I know when my white shirts are no longer white? Who will keep my garden tidy? Will I lose my house if I can’t get a job? Who will pay the mortgage?  

 

I’m a seven year old child. My Mum is blind with RP and I have just been told I have that too. My eyes are getting worse now and I can’t see at all in the dark. At school our corridors are really dark and I have fallen down the stairs. As I lay there in shock, my knees bleeding, my friends started to laugh at me. Pointing. Singing silly words about me not being able to see. Blindie, Sightless stupid they call me everything. They laugh about my Mum too how she was standing at the wrong door to the school as she didn’t see the notice telling her that door was closed today. The teachers tell me off as I forgot the biscuits again. It was my turn. On the chart my name was on I should have brought them and I didn’t know. The teacher tells me my Mum should read it. She knows that my Mum can’t see, but she keeps making comments like that.

 

 My Mum cries I hear her when I go to bed.  No one wants to play with me at school as I can’t see well enough to join in I’m not fast enough.

 

One of my friends stopped being friends with me as she told me her Mum didn’t want her to be my friend.

 

These are just some of the thoughts those with RP have. These were my thoughts too and my experiences. I have gone over the golden bridge and left the riches behind. I’m now sitting on a park bench and telling you how I feel now.

 

When I first went blind you know from my earlier blogs I was ready to end my life. I saw from my eyes dirty brown colours which turned into purple. Then black then grey and now nothing most days as if looking out from my elbow. Some days I see what I think is sunshine. But then I close my eyes and the sun is still there. Sometimes I may see shadows. But if I do, I look as I’m seeing something, this is great right? But then I suffer as my eyes burn like pure acid is being poured in them. Some days my eyes feel like they have been kicked with pointed boots and other days as if a razor is being used to cut my eye lashes. Then other days I just feel as if they are heavy.

 

I can cook I can do my washing of clothes and iron; I clean my own house and manage to pick clothes that match. I have learned to purchase what I need to help me around the house and there is software on IPhone now too as for the IPhone, well, they talk. As for my computer, that too talks, but we have to pay about £700 for that pleasure. That is on top of our computers. We also pay for software for our scanners so we can read letters. But not the full letter as most of it reads back mumbo jumbo. As for hand writing no, we can’t read that though there is a service you can call and using the camera on your phone, ask a real life person what the letter says? But do we want this intrusion into our personal life just because we can’t see? Answer, no, but if we want to know what it says when it comes to hand writing or even something out of the freezer, we must call up an  application  on our IPhone, wait until someone answers let them look at what we need to see the whole process takes about two minutes on average. The service is called Be my eyes. If you can see, you for example, open your freezer door; see what you want and Bingo. About ten seconds max.

Your letters? You even know before you open the envelope most times what the letter is, but to read a letter could take you a minute, for us, by the time it goes on the scanning machine we get on our computer and tab along till we find what we need to then read it if we have the paper the right way, it takes about three minutes.  

 

Now I don’t want this to come across as a negative blog and make out as though blind people are hopeless. Quite the opposite. My Husband went to University he has three degrees and a Master of business as well as his A Levels where he received the highest grades, My schooling was appalling but I studied at college for six years and received A’s for everything but maths and for that received a C, but if you can’t read Braille or print, maths is a nightmare as at times I had to remember up to twenty numbers before starting the calculation so a C I was amazed I even got that.

 

The entire tech you can get now wasn’t even available ten years ago. Some of it, even five years ago. So that is great, but the loneliness of being with sight loss, excruciating. Doctors are getting better but to get there, wow, they have been so nasty in the past.

 

A cure? That would be amazing not sure in my life time there will be a cure, but there are treatments on the horizon. If you are gutted to the stomach to hear what I said about no cure in my life time? I’m sorry; I hope I’m so wrong. But as for treatment? There is a lot being done around the world but we could wait twenty years or two, if twenty that is a very long time, if two though, that is great and I hope it is two years then I can write my blogs without listening to this robotic voice and I laugh, sighted people hear me typing and say things like. “Oh, I couldn’t stand listening to that voice on your computer. It would do my head in.” I wish I had a pound for every time someone said that and £5 for every time I have told them we have no choice. Perhaps they should stop and think before they make a comment like that, as if we enjoy this voice reading out every word in some cases letter in a manner that is so mechanical?

 

There are a lot of frustrations in our life. I want a picture hung on the wall. It takes weeks before someone will do it we want our garden tidied, no one will come out unless you pay thousands. Three and a half thousand was one of the quotes I got last year. My garden is tiny. No grass at the back either. There is damage done to some paint work but we have to wait until someone will paint that for us, so where is if we could see, we would go into our garage get some paint and do it, rather than wait for our trusty painter to be free then come. It would cost us nothing as we always have a bit of paint left over in the garage. But we have to pay at least £40 for a tiny bit of touching up. So everything costs more. But, we do get it done, it’s not impossible. When we first lose our sight, we believe that nothing is possible. We learn to adapt. Now I receive so many emails from those desperate to find a cure for Retinitis Pigmentosa. Just like I used to be. This is what I mean, once we have lost our sight, after the initial time, we learn to live in a different world. For some they are all prepared. Great, I wasn’t. For others it takes a year and for me, it took ten years and I only adapted because I was so lucky I was sent my Husband who has taught me everything I know. I have mixed with friends who also can’t see and I have learned that we can laugh, we can have fun.

 

How many people have been shocked that I have a house? A mortgage? Blind people, own houses? Well we can, if we work. Just like you, oddly enough.

 

We can go on holiday, not quite like you, we either have to go somewhere we know, or a place that will be suitable for us to stay in the hotel. I remember one place my Husband and I love to go to, we had been there for two days and were entering our last day. People were coming in; guests, saying what a lovely day they had and the beaches are amazing. I felt so sad. I really wished we could have ventured out. But how, if we have not been taught a route? When in a city, you can get a taxi from A to B, but we were in London not long ago and the driver dropped us off and told us the building we needed to be was just down there. Well, that is helpful. Down where? Where was he pointing? We got out and walked. We found the building. It was huge. There was no one on the door. We just had to listen. We followed the queue. Was it a queue for the theatre or café? When we got to the end. A lady told us that we were in the cinema the theatre was just across the road. We found it, again, found a queue by listening and hoping. Got to the end. Were told that the production we wanted to see the tickets we had well, it had been cancelled. She told us in a cheerful voice. “Don’t worry; there is another theatre about twelve minutes away. Oh great, in the middle of London?

 

Life is possible, but also can be stressful. If we had treatment, gosh, I really can’t tell you what it would mean to me. TO my family. I would feel like I have been born again.

© Fiona Cummings

No comments: