translate

Sunday 28 February 2016

REACTION TO FURY


To those who think I only write about issues impacting people who are blind or partially sighted, after my some would say controversial blog “Dear Fury” here is a direct message from a Blogget who has perfect sight but who has experienced the challenges of life others views can bring.

 

Here is an example of someone who, although not physically locked into their environment, is hemmed in by the views of society including some of those close to them.

 

I don’t believe this person has been able to even write about this until now! I hope they have found this a cathartic experience.

FURY 

“People are so narrow minded it makes me sick. Going home at the end of the day to your loving other half who you are proud to walk hand in hand with down the street, or not afraid to talk to the neighbours about, or share a passionate kiss in public yet I can't do any of that. My other half is the same sex as me and due to people's inability to understand what it means to be gay means I cannot kiss my partner when I get home because the curtains are open, as we would wake up to eggs splattered on the house the following morning. God forbid if we held hands in the street as we would need to sell up and move due to harassment


“So, who is my next of kin at work? Well it can't be him, everyone would know about us then I would need to retrain and work in a different skill, but hang on, then I wouldn't have an income and the loans we have in my name (because we were not allowed to have a loan in same names with us being same sex) would not get paid, I see a vicious circle coming here.


 Next thing, my boyfriend gets cancer... How do I get time off work to support him? What excuse do I give at work? I love him so much, he is in pain, he needs an operation, and how do I support him? I can't as no-one knows about us and they can't know. I am on my own, I can't help you, people don't understand.
 His mother has died, how do I get time off work for the funeral? How do I hide my grief at work so people don't ask too many questions? I can't, again, you are on your own.


To escape from all this hassle and day to day life, we decide to book a holiday... costing us more money and the insurance is higher too; I will leave that one to you to work out why. So we get to Spain and we are sick of people looking at us all the time giving us a complex, we now stay in on an evening with each other's company as we have had enough of the stares. Our holiday now seems like a prison sentence.


“Before long, every day seems to be a hassle; you struggle to get out of bed, your parents although they talk to you, they don't understand you, and they withhold an offer of financial support because you respected them and told them you were gay.

 

“People talk behind your back at work and you start to get a complex. Next thing, you are depressed, depressed because you just want to enjoy life like any other "straight" couple.


All you have done all your life is tried to be nice to people, help people, understand people, listen to people and all you are looking for in return is acceptance. Acceptance, for who you are, acceptance that will allow you to go to your boyfriend’s mother’s funeral, be able to hold your boyfriends hand in hospital and tell him everything will be alright.
Hide, that's what I can do, I will put on this brave face as if nothing worries me, nothing scares me, let people see I am a hard faced strong individual, only if you knew the truth.


 

No comments: