translate

Tuesday 2 February 2016

A BLIND WORLD


 I have written about this before. Long and short I found myself in Norway at a conference with business men and women who were all blind. I have spent a lot of time with intelligent people in my time but these people by far were the most brilliant, talented and for sure inspirational.

 

They had to prove themselves to get as far as they had in the world. So they had to be better than any sighted colleagues. And they were. Most of them spoke more than two languages and they had Masters Degrees in business and more. They spoke with such words one found oneself drawn towards them like a magnet.

 

Away from the meetings and work chat, we found ourselves in the grounds of a wonderful centre we were staying. Surrounded by ferns and oaks statues and streams. The weather was perfect and air so fresh.

 

It was there where I realised it wasn’t the world I lived in that was wrong, but the people who lived in my world.

 

I never wanted to leave that place.  I wanted to stay around my blind new friends and stay in that  world where we were just understood. Nothing was a problem as we had a few sighted guides. But the respect from those who had sight was like nothing I have ever experienced. Things just got done. We just did and we laughed in time away from work and my body could be free of the sighted world. A world which I have to battle with each day. I could put down my bag of stress and open my eyes, and fly on a cloud. Feel free from chains.

 

It was so normal!

So perfect. No one being judgmental no one looking for our mistakes. We made them, of course we did, but we all made the same mistakes, so they became normality. No mistakes were made.

 

If we could as blind people live like this, we would be fine, free, feel so good. But we live here and that was one weekend that I’m sure I will never revisit. But the memory will stay in my mind forever.

No comments: