translate

Monday 18 November 2013

WHAT DOES SILENCE SOUND LIKE?

A blog from  my Husband.
What should silence sound like?

The coming months will see the introduction of electric buses in York.
Some towns in the UK already have these, and electric/hybrid cars are
on the increase, with plans for tax advantages for commercial and
private hire vehicles such as taxis.

LC and I were walking in London a few weeks back and we came to a
relatively quiet side road which we needed to cross. What do you hear
when you're crossing a road? I am reasonably good at judging the
distance and speed of a vehicle, whether it's a car, bus or truck,
whether it's coming from the right or left and usually whether it's
going to turn in to the street I am about to cross. Strangely, heavy
fog makes this a bit more tricky as sound travels differently in humid
air. Wet roads and snow also change things quite a bit. Anyway, back
to the point… We were about to cross this road and, thankfully, LC
refused to leave the kerb. A couple of seconds after her refusal to
cross, an electric vehicle swished by like some kind of deadly ghost -
I certainly felt a chill run down my spine but this was probably due
to real rather than spectral fear!

I recently saw some evidence which suggests that electric/hybrid
vehicle accident rates are 25% higher than for other types of
vehicles, although this needs corroborating through data from other
countries. It's certainly true that they are an extremely dangerous
addition to the environment for blind and partially sighted people.

But what should a so-called silent vehicle sound like? The European
Parliament is in the process of agreeing regulations which will make
an audio alert mandatory, but, in a somewhat stupid move, it has also
made a pause switch mandatory so drivers will be able to turn off the
sound! The time scales for introduction are also stupidly long;
probably 5 years or even more. The regulation will state that a hybrid
or electric vehicle must give a similar sound to a vehicle with a
combustion engine, although the reality of this is far from clear.

Tests in the USA have come up with some sounds which we will
apparently find easy to detect. I was advised to listen to them with
good head phones, although I still found them be almost inaudible.
One of them sounded like those electric milk floats you sometimes get,
although I can't remember the last time I actually heard one of these
on our streets, so that might work.

I think international efforts to agree a single sound for such
vehicles are doomed to failure because manufacturers will want their
own sound. If I build a luxury electric car, I don't want it to sound
like Onzlo's van, (er that's from Keeping Up Appearances for those not
in the know, one of the best comedy shows ever to come out of the UK
in my view). What we are going to need to do is to agree
characteristics of sounds to be used, including the distance at which
you should be able to hear the sound, so that I don't have to rely on
LC to refuse to cross a road and probably save me from serious injury
or worse.

A UN committee will now be working on an international regulation
which I hope will be better than what is about to be agreed in Europe.
I will be a part of that process. Having a pause switch so drivers
can disable the sound is plain stupid. I know we need to reduce the
level of noise in the environment, but we also have to take care of
pedestrians who are much more likely to be seriously injured or killed
by a vehicle they can't hear. We would never seriously think about
disabling lights, so it's just daft that they are thinking about this
for the audio alert.

I wonder what a driver's insurance position might be if they are
involved in an accident with a pedestrian and their pause switch is
enabled, turning off the audio alert? I think I might go and ask that
question of a few insurance companies now….

Quick Reply

No comments: