translate

Friday 2 November 2012

13th Birthday


I had been dealt with a hard couple of years. My poor Dad had an almost fatal accident down the pit when I was eleven and then I had to leave my school and friends, including my now Hub. I started a horrible boarding school, one where I wait for every day to be reported on the television, as one of those places where by things went on that shouldn’t have? Nothing as yet has been reported, but lots still in my mind about the place.

I had been four times to Russia  for eye treatment in those two years, nine times all together,  and  though my eyes were improving, the pain of going was catching up with me.

Birthdays did not mean anything to me really, I was either at boarding school, or hospital abroad or London hospital.

But this was my thirteenth, and for once it would be a lovely day, thanks to Tyne Tees. Our local news team.

I guess it sounds simple these days, but I was picked up in a car unlike my  Dads, so it was not stuck together like a jigsaw puzzle, and did not rattle as we drove down the road.

The presenter took us with camera men to a very posh hotel. We had a lovely meal, though I think my first signs of being a vegetarian, were showing back then, as a whole hog was wheeled on a trolley, next to our table. Oh the poor pig, had its head on? With an apple in its mouth? What’s all that about? Answers on a postcard, please, because that to me makes no sense?

 The carpet was plush and the table cloths were so beautiful.

Five waiters were at our table and everyone whispered.

All, except my  Mum and Dad?

My Mum thought she was Mrs Bouquet, my Dad for sure was Richard?

Well not as refined as Richard.

For my bloggets who are living in a world where by the television program with Mrs Bouquet has not reached yet, she was a real lady, well, she thought she was, her Husband was for sure a sweet man who would do anything for anyone.

Mrs  Bouquet never knew when people were laughing at  her as she was so right, it made her so wrong?

My Mum had a pounding voice, oh my word, she could not be discrete?

My Dad  was as far out of his comfort zone as one could be. I had some experience as travelled a lot mixing with all kinds of backgrounds, so was well behaved and my Mum was improving with age, but was so loud?

Well, it all kicked off, when my Dad shouted across the restaurant,

“Son, is there any more pudding?” My Mum turned in her chair and glared at him, saying in a huge voice,

“Ray. But only in a Ray that my Mum could do. Like a buzz sore.

Well it did not stop there. My Dad had a captured audience. Well the row began, between my Mum and my Mum, hahahaaha. As a teen myself, I felt so embarrassed, my teen has nothing to worry about compared to me?

I must tell you the story some time about my Mum in the shop and my Dad at M I 5.

Anyway, after I recoiled in my velvet like chair, I recovered with the delightful dessert.

We left the restaurant with the press outside waiting for pictures and the T.V crew still laughing from the incident with my parents. I was then taken to the studios to do an interview.

The reason why this birthday was to them and us special, was because that was the age that the medics said I would be blind.

Live on our ITV,  I was interviewed about my day and Russia and all that stuff, then in walked my  hero of the time. A dish called Andy Craig. He was a presenter of the time and I was soooooooo fixed by him.  He was a real crush.

The cameras were still rolling and I was aware that it was going out live. He had a birthday cake for me and all the crew sang happy birthday.

He put the cake in front of me on a coffee table and went behind me, picked up a huge bunch of flowers and came to kiss my cheek.

I did not want to wash for a year. OMG?

It was so lovely, a wonderful day and although at the time I was really made to cringe over my parents, it is that and those stories that make us love our parents more and make us the people we are now, hence me being a bit of a fruit loop!

My next blog is my award and I hope you enjoy?

Have a blessed  Saturday my friends and know you are all here for a reason. x

No comments: