translate

Monday 23 March 2015

WOODLANDS WAYS BY FIONA CUMMINGS


WOODLANDS WAYS

By Fiona cummings

Woodland used to cover most of Britain, but sadly now there is only 12% of woodland left.

 

I love the smell of the woods.

The forgotten rain that’s created the mud

The giant leaves that are like hoods

To shelter from the silver drops

I find a log

Under the canopy

This to me is music a harmony

I feed from the diversity

As I take some time

To enjoy the mistletoe

Which grows like a vine?

Around the old oak

 The frogs croak

Tickling my ankles

Are the beautiful bluebells

I love the primrose

The fungus and moss

All paint this picture of a land we may loss

The Cuckooflower

Drinks the April shower

Another plant I love

Is the woodland Foxglove

The sweet Chesnutt

All have been cut

Allowing more light from the sky

The beautiful butterfly

Innocently flutters

This is paradise everything can flourish

Hazel to make the fences

For wildlife there are trenches

Wonderful Wrens

Wresting in the Hawthorn

Blackbirds feeding on Rowan

Many species of bees foraging

The peacefulness is encouraging

Everyone looks up in the forests

At the silver birch or a little lower

Perhaps at the willow

But take note

On the forests floor

Is the toad

Or hedgehogs

Providing homes are the logs

We shouldn’t get rid of such beauty

It’s not our right but our duty

 

Copyright Fiona Cummings

No comments: