translate

Thursday 5 March 2015

FOOT IN MOUTH


Well, the shop? Did I do it? I blooming well did. I know it’s pathetic, but it’s scary for me!

 

If you can see, just imagine putting a TV screen in front of your eyes, so you can only see that and go out and walk to your shops. OK, you have a guide dog, so she most times works, but not always. So you can’t relax and trust her. Though she gets it right nine times out of ten, there is that tenth time when you face plant in front of a car, or twist your ankle down a huge step or smash your face against a brick wall.

 

There is that one time when you crash into a bin that hasn’t been emptied and you knock all the ingredients all over the street. Embarrassment as who is looking out of their window at you, you can’t go and pick the rubbish up.

 

 There is that one time when you totally get lost. The fear of not being sure if you are in the middle of a road or on a path or even found your way through the school playground and don’t have a clue how to get out of it, or if your dog charges you through a crowd of people lined up at the bus stop in total silence so you can’t hear them.

 

That is the icing on the cake, if I were to give the mixture to bake the cake, you would possibly understand a little of my fear. But there are the nine times out of ten when Waggatail gets it right and I get home safely and I feel so proud and free and excited as well as the feeling of achievement something as a blind person at home doesn’t feel easily.

 

I found my cash card and know it’s the one because of two reasons. One I put it in my card holder at the same place every time and two because the corner is coming off it. Haha. Got everything I needed let the dog out and harness on. Double checked my shoes weren’t odd and key in door, no going back now.

 

The street was quiet. Winds blew and the odd car in the distance could be heard. As I felt the different texture beneath my feet from brick drive to tarmac path, I knew to turn right. It’s a fine line as sometime my dog Waggatail likes to go across the road to visit our Neighbour or that is the way to the park. So I have to totally concentrate to get her to turn right at the correct place.

 

Then we pass the manhole and the electric box and come to the slope for the first road. I asked Waggatail to stop and we wait for the sounds that say it’s safe or not to cross.

 

Hoping she will do the up kerb as again, she has been known to cross to the left, rather than streight a head. And sometimes I don’t realise she has done that, as it’s ever so slight.

 

Again if she crossed at that point, I would be totally disoriented but she didn’t she did good.

 

Passing the sharp shrubs and when I no longer feel them pricking my arm, I know there is a gap to turn right. Oh this is the bit that really scares me.

 

I hear the road getting closer. Louder. Like huge waterfalls. I’m walking into them. But I have to turn right at the end before I am on the main road. Where cars stop for no one.

 

So when to turn right? Thankfully I tell Wagga to turn right and I tell her early. Rather than late. She then decides and that is where a guide dog is so helpful.

 

A white cane you would have to feel about so much more. Though with a white cane, you would know there was a step, a dog, you don’t unless they stop.

 

So the fine line between the road and my turn. Few, we did it. Then a really really long stretch before it’s my turn again. Passing the high pitch sounds of birds feeding in the shrubs for the winter berries and passing the monkeys in the zoo. The trucks and busses vans and cars and hoping your are still walking streight? As if you can’t see, it’s not easy to know what streight is.

 

 So the downhill then the tactile then the open spaces no trees, so I know it feels lighter and that is my sign to know to turn right. Again a fine line as the next right is into the carpark. Once in there, rather difficult to get out. I feel the line on the cycle track and turn left. Follow the building line and avoid the nasty metal steps that come too close for comfort to my head. And right into the welcoming shop.

 

Oh boy and that is where the foot in mouth began.

 

So teen used to work there. He liked everyone apart from one lady. This lady also won’t help me as I have a guide dog and her religion she says prevents her from doing so. Well this lady was awful to teen when he worked there; in fact she is horrid to everyone there.

 

So, the young girl who went to school with teen helped me to get my shopping. She is lovely, I thought, until teen told me she did drugs? Really, is there anyone left who doesn’t? Anyway, she is lovely and friendly. So we got to the till. I asked for money

No, I didn’t hold the shop up. Hehehe. I wanted cash back. A great option we have in the UK.

 

The girl said her till had been emptied. So she had no money. She said she would get the boss and it was that woman. You know the one? Hmm.

 

Well, she came to the till and the girl said I needed money and told the woman how to do it as she had to put it through in a certain way. Though this woman is the boss, the girl continued to tell her what to do. Haha haha. Then the woman went to another till to get the money out. The girl said to me

“Oh, dear, I’m telling her what to do?”

To which I replied.

Oh good, about time someone put her in her place?

Oh it didn’t stop there,

I also continued.

“I wished I had worn my pointy boots, I would kick her butt into action? As I laughed, it went quiet.

 

Oh, Dear.

 The lady didn’t go to another till. She was listening to me…..

Oopsie moment or what?

 

Do I care?

Nope!

Though next time I go in, I think she will not only not help me with my dog, but she may sell me something with a sell by date out by a week? Haha haha.

 

Reddish, face, I walked out and we began our journey home.

 

It seemed quick and easy and I even spoke to a friendly neighbour on the way. Got to my door though there was a moment when I did wonder if it was my house, as Wagga walked me onto the grass and she never does that, but it was our house, and I praised her.

 

My little girl did well. And I am so very pleased with myself.

 

So it’s a simple task for some blind people for me not, but, I just feel so good now. And, I can’t believe I did it. No matter how many times I do that route I come back in shock that it was at all possible.

 

Thank Goodness for our guide dogs. Thank Goodness for my RP friends and for everyone involved with training our dogs.

No comments: