translate

Friday 21 December 2012

TINSEL AND TAILS


Tinsel is a sparkling decorative material that mimics the effect of ice or icicles. When in long narrow strips (sometimes known as lametta. It emulates icicles. It was originally a metallic for Christmas decorations. . The modern production of tinsel typically involves plastic, and is used particularly to decorate Christmas trees. It may be hung from ceilings or wrapped around statues, lampposts, and so on. Modern tinsel was invented in Nuremberg. ,, Germany. in 1610, and was originally made of shredded silver, I’m not sure that would be as striking or shiny as tinsel? It tarnishes, so was renewed by other metals. Silver was used to decorate Christmas trees, to enhance the flickering of candles. Tinsel was to represent the starry nights of the Nativity scene.

According to the Concise Oxford Dictionary, the word is from the old French word, meaning sparkle, sorry, I can not remember what the word in French is,  I think it is Estensele? Forgive me if I’m wrong!

France, was the world’s biggest manufacture of tinsel. Can you believe, we used to use lead on our trees? Now tinsel, is made from PVC. I love it, as specially the really thick tinsel.

I have some on my mantle peace, with lights behind it. I imagine it looks lovely.  

Tomorrow Hub and I, are off to the town early in the morning. Hoping to be there before the last minute Christmas shoppers. Not sure I will take BB, as she is rubbish at following, so may hang on to Hubs arm and bash everyone out of the way, hahahaha. Must call in at our pasty shop? Night time, we are  going out with our friends from church. Our funny Welsh friend, his lovely wife and their daughter. All three of us are having a meal with the three of them. Looking forward to that.

Our smoking friend has not been on the phone since he returned to his house back north. Not like him? We have our house smelling nice again, but my eyes are still stinging. Well early start so will go to bed now, but loved learning with you about tinsel. Christmas is full of little stories, that make it so magical.

My lovely  borrowed Mum from  America and my stolen Dad, are in Mexico on holiday. Their health was not good when they arrived, but luckily, they are getting better and on Christmas eve, they are going  to watch a real Nativity. Real  donkeys and Mary and Joseph will parade down the old cobbled streets. What a sight? With the beautiful colours in Mexico, sounds lovely, though I still like to feel Jack Frost at Christmas.

Thank you again my family of Bloggets for staying with us and making our family grow to a  bigger and more loving group of people. Laters with love

No comments: