translate

Thursday 20 December 2012

I SAW HIM I KNOW I DID BY FIONA CUMMINGS


I SAW HIM I KNOW I DID BY FIONA CUMMINGS

 

I saw him I  know I did

He scared me I ran and hid

But had to look again

Elbows on my windowsill and wrists propping up my head

I knew I would see him, the question was when

Begging for me was my warm bed

But in the still of the night twas my plight

To wait for him to pass and try not to be in fright

I shivered, shaking in shock

The echoes of footsteps from the avenue

The ticking of the clock

I knew it was true

It had to be him

The only street lamp was so very dim

I smelt the smell of fear deep within

So cold was the sky

 And a navy blue night shon

With icy stars I could see miles along

The fields of farmers harvests

The ice capped stone cold forests

Shiny streets beneath me

 silhouettes of the old oak tree

with fingerlike branches stretching to the stars

I saw him in the same scarf

I need to get warm now near to the hearth

Reflections of winter

Fighting back at me sharp like a splinter

My knees are shaking

I know I was not mistaking

It for sure was him out there

Same hat, nose and stare

Black eyes looking through my soul

As ever the darkest of coal

Pointed features was his nose

Same old frozen pose

I can’t tell of him or I will be laughed at

As specially when I tell them of his winter hat

As he walked past, he was so strong

But he shredded as he walked along

Should I see what he wants

Or where does he belong

Or should I close my curtains and crawl back into bed

Let it be my imagination just something silly I once said

As only I know

What I saw that night

The man made from snow

That was a scary sight

As he walked down my street

But seemed  not to have feet

And waved up to my window

Dropping so much snow

Flakes followed him to the end of our gate

Then he climbed on top of a carriage in wait

Slamming behind him  Mum and Dads gate

I know what I saw

And have never seen him before

Nothing like it on our land

A walking snowman

Waving his hand

 

No comments: