translate

Sunday 15 September 2013

HUGS & KISSES FROM FIONA CUMMINGS


OK, you know me, this page is full of a little of everything, but sometimes I like to do some research on the oddest things and here is one of those bits of research. It has baffled me all weekend since I had this thought so had to look into my queries.

I just wondered why we put an x, for a kiss, on notes, cards and letters, as well as the net. So this is why!

The X, we place on envelopes and so on, dates back to the middle ages, when the  Christian cross drawn on documents to represent   was a sign of sincerity, faith  and honesty.

For those signers, who could not write, a cross was placed and then the person would kiss the cross to show their sworn oath.

 Now I thought the sign of the O, was new, but no. It is of North American descent, and when arriving to the United States, Jewish immigrants, most of whose first language was Yiddish, would use an O to sign documents, not to use the sign of the cross

  OK, so when I received an online message with XOXO, I thought I was in for a good game of naughts and crosses, but no, that means kisses and hugs. Now, some research says that the X, represents the four lips and the O is the arms hugging. This is from a bird’s eye view!!!! O …K

Hahaha. So what I need to ask now, is, who the heck asked the bird?

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO

  

 

No comments: