translate

Thursday 21 July 2016

MANDELLA DAY


I receive many emails and messages from my family of Bloggets, but one person who fills me with such joy is my Dear Blogget from South Africa. Gosh The wisdom from the special person I find mind gripping. I drink her words like someone who is dying of thirst in a desert, and eat her knowledge as if I’m starving. One of her emails not too long back spoke of Mandela day in SA. Wow, what a brilliant idea, we don’t have to call it Mandela day in our countries, but this is the idea of the day.

 

Mandela spent 67 years working for his mission in life, so every year on Mandela day, people give 67 minutes of their time to others.

 

A huge amount of those years Nelson Mandela spent in jail, but it was whilst in jail, people learned what he was really all about, whereas before, in Africa, his work was kept from the people in fact they were lead to believe he was a very bad person, a terrorist and communist. Until a few years before he was released from jail, the people didn’t even see a photograph of Mandela. So once a year now on his birthday it is his day where he lives on not only in people’s minds but those who reach out to others and continue in the hard work Mandela would be proud of.

 

Some people read to children, others help to repair orphanages, some cook meals for the poor others knit blankets and you can even donate blood for your contribution.

 

I know some of my Bloggets are school teachers and there is also a load of school children who read my blog page, why not start in your school? One day per year give an hour of your time. Children could bake cakes and sell for charity but most importantly, let them paint some rundown place, they would love it, perhaps art students? Universities/colleges, your work place? May be do someone’s garden? I don’t know what you would call it, may be Time for others day? It must be a good feeling, I know when I have given a talk for Guide Dogs and have spoken to adults, the feeling afterwards is fantastic. If it’s adults, I come away with either a cheque for Guide Dogs, or a promise for a future fund raising day or perhaps someone will agree to get their company to name a guide dog puppy, they pick the name and do fund raising throughout the year to raise the amount needed to name a pup. Sometimes I come away just knowing that I have spoken to a person who has an elderly relative with sight problems and they are not coping, I tell them about services that they never knew about and the buzz I get because I have been able to help someone is the best feeling.

 

If you think this is a good idea, will you write to me let me know and perhaps tell me in the future what you will do and for whom? Let’s all have a feel good day at least one day per year. For kids, this is so good, as our children are really losing touch with charity and kindness it’s also good for our kids to see that there are other children out there who are not as fortunate as them.

 

You know my email, just in case you don’t I shall write it for you at the bottom of this blog.

 

I have written before about when my Husband on many occasions visited South Africa, so I have heard some wonderful stories about the people there, sadly also some dreadfully tragic stories. I think South Africa is the most beautiful country on earth, but just like humans, it’s full of people who are living to kill their world. But not everyone there, my Blogget who writes to me is the most wonderful person and I adore her and through my blog page, I have been so rich in my life to have found such a person. Love to you all and talk soon. X Ps. My email.


 

No comments: