translate

Monday 18 July 2016

JOBS FOR THE BLIND


We are having a total melt down in the UK. Today and tomorrow is going to be hot hot hot. Tonight it is hotter than it is on most red hot summer days we see a couple of weeks per year in England.

 

Tonight is going to be unbearable. We are taking our fan to our bedroom I just feel for the dogs. Where they sleep are no windows. We have brushed them to remove loads of hair. I had to put milk in the Little Fella’s water to make him drink it. Monkey. But day after tomorrow, all gone. Back to cool and storms.

 

Looking for a job. It’s a total nightmare if you can’t see to get a job. So many of my friends are struggling and that is people with masters and degree’s. Why? Because we live in a sighted world. The way in which tech is changing too, is making even receptionist jobs impossible. If you have a little sight, it’s a different story, but if totally blind, almost impossible. My Husband is very fortunate as he has always been in employment but for most impossible.

 

I have just looked at twenty pages on different websites and not one job I would be able to do. Jobs in the past, I’m talking about three, I have looked at I would be able to do those, but then we have to persuade the employers to give us a chance. Sadly, if they have a sighted applicant and a person who is blind, they will always go for the sighted. They so need educating. There is so much made about people with other than white skin colour having equal opportunities, and so there should be, but no one seems to speak out for those who are without sight.

 

If I had my life to live over again, a teacher would be my absolute preference as a job. I loved going into schools and talking with the children. In my past I have volunteered with adults too, when I had some sight, I taught literacy as a volunteer. My other choice would be a Psychologist and top of the list every time would be of course an author. One day please, let that happen? I just need a great big hand and a push to get me going. I have the ability and as a blind person, you would think writing would be easy as long as we have the software on our computers, right? Well, yes if we find an agent to give us a start, but if we want to self-publish, just try to get a book cover printed. Oh boy, no way that is accessible. I just need a pair of eyes to help me to design and then I think I would be able to self-publish.

 

There are websites that you can register with to get your book cover designed. Well, our software only says words, not pictures. So it will read nothing where the design picture is. So if I ticked random boxes, knowing me, I would end up with a very scary book cover that may get me arrested. Smile. Seriously it’s so frustrating. As for those websites where you have to enter a code, oh don’t get me started. Again, they are images, not words/letters. It’s a photograph of letters. Impossible for us and they are starting to do less and less audio versions where by you enter where it says audio option and some silly voice reads out numbers with a distraught voice in the background making it so difficult to hear what you are meant to be putting into the box.

 

Grumpy pants is finished now, but for the password to prove I am not a robot, why not just ask me something like what is two plus two? I mean, I would write four and Bob’s your Uncle, right?

 

Talking of questions, how about these?

How do you make holy water?

Boil the hell out of it.

 

What did the air conditioning say to the man?

I’m your biggest fan.

 

OK enough already, I blame the heat. It’s doing very odd things to me.

Tomorrow with love. And a deep subject. X

No comments: