translate

Tuesday 3 February 2015

HOPE FOR RP BY FIONA CUMMINGS


This month is RP awareness month. Retinitis pigmentosa is the eye disease I have. I was born partially sighted and lost my sight when I was thirty. To know all of your life, one day you will be blind is a terrifying prospect. Your life is full of fear. We are so close for treatments for restoring and halting this dreadful eye condition.

 

It’s hereditary, so we pass the faulted gene to our children. Either they are born with the eye disease or they are sighted, but will pass it onto their children.

 

My poem for RP awareness.

 

RP HOPE

BY FIONA CUMMINGS

I saw one day

Until that gift was taken away

My world caved in

My battle I did not win

Flashing lights

Before me

Is all I see

But we can’t give up the fight

For help please

Hear my plight

 May once again the blind see flowers and trees

And don’t rob us of the faces of our families

For in my mind

I try my best

To remember those I love

And will not wrest

Until a miracle from above

Or treatment is discovered

Till then our eyes are covered

My days are nights

And I can’t sleep

For in fear of demons

Who do creep

Please help us to find a cure

So one day we can live our lives

We will drive

See snow so pure

The silver moon

And roses in bloom

But most of all

We will be free

To see

Just like you

A perfect view

Please join us and make history

Of this dreaded RP

If you can spare a coin

Hands together we will join

And end this unforgiven agony

That affects not just us

But our entire family

 

 

Copyright Fiona Cummings 2015

No comments: