translate

Wednesday 25 February 2015

A DREAM BY FIONA CUMMINGS


A DREAM

BY FIONA CUMMINGS

 

No time for snoring

Adults are boring

They just don’t understand

When I tell them about ted and friends

From another land

My toys come alive at night

As soon as Mum turns off the light

Rag doll Sam

With her floppy flowery hat

Bertie bear and his big band

And Noodles the cat

He climbs onto my pillow

 Purrs so gentle and mellow

Dancing Dugi dog

Jumps like a frog

My brother Jacobs soldiers I must mention

Stand to attention

Until lights are off

Then let the battle commence

Higgody hobby horse

Jumps over the fence

 As for my dolls house?

During the day as quiet as a mouse

When my parents are sleeping

In the house mini people are creeping

Through the little windows

Lights turn on and off

But nothing can be heard

No squeaking or a cough

Peeping through the letterbox

I see Mr. Fox

How did he get in there

With Bertie bear

Oh this is so much fun

Scared? Me want to run?

You must be joking

This is amazing

I mean look at the chimney smoking?

I want to get in that house

With its picket fence outside

A small bike for a ride

Lego trees

And in the kitchen on the little table

Is the pretend holy cheese

Look at my dolly Mable

She’s brushing her hair

And brothers marbles

Are rolling everywhere

This is magical

My wooden box is musical

As the ballerina twirls

I smile at tiny tears

She’s beautiful with popcorn curls

A world without fears

There is no harm to be had here

My rocking chair moves back and forward

As the key turns on the door of the cupboard

Out come fuzzy felt bees

And flying geese

The circus has come to town

With Clarence the clown

And his knobbly knees

The chimps with their tricks

And men on high sticks

Look at Barbie on the tightrope

The big tent

Full of colour

Plastic coins spent

At my toy shop

With sugared mice

And a lollypop

Jars of candy

Served by Millie molly Mandy

A skipping rope

Bubbles of soap

Jelly tot necklace

And cola cube rings

Little dresses made from lace

For Phoebe and Beth

As they are twins

Well I got them both for my birthday

From best friend Fey

And cousin Maisieann

With a Japanese porcelain doll

Holding a fan

Oh look at the foam bullets

Shooting at the can

Big brother Elliot

Will go mad

Off flies the helicopter

 Without a pilot

 Hey this is cool

I don’t want to sleep to wake for school

Let me stay at home

And answer the phone

Who will call tonight?

Peter Rabbit might?

As he talks, you know

But only when, the adults go

Jack n a box

Needs winding up

Lid pops

And he jumps up

The snakes climb the ladder

The dice make a clatter

The king of diamonds

Walks to Simple Simon

Who met with the pie man?

Who sheered the sheep

With little Bo Peep

Whilst the dish ran away with the spoon

And from my window the cow jumped over the moon

Oh this is fun

And look at the sun

It’s got its hat on

It’s coming out to play

In this world it’s never night or day

I wish it would last forever

With a chocolate fountain

And a Milky Way river

I’m no judge

With my bag of fudge

But standing next to the fort

I have a thought

If only adults believed

This is not a dream

Full of blankets of marshmallows

And bubble gum pillows

With sherbet socks

And lemon drops

This is my bedroom

With a honey cone balloon

And a coconut mushroom

With a pixie playing a tune

Mummy thinks I’m a good girl

As I come to bed each night

Without an argument

Or even a fight

Who can blame me?

For enjoying my mystery

 Of a giant peach

And it’s all in reach

Next thing I know

I’ve fallen a sleep

    And the house has gone silent

And thoughts are deep

When I awake

Will I remember what amusement I’ve seen

Shall I tell myself it’s all been a dream?

 

Copyright Fiona Cummings 2015

No comments: