translate

Saturday 10 August 2013

BETTER THAN THE REST BY FIONA CUMMINGS


BETTER THAN THE REST

BY FIONA CUMMINGS

 Always looking over my shoulder

Wishing they were older

Then not so much to worry about

Now older we just shout

We did our best

Thought we were better than all the rest

Because we loved our child more than any other

We of course were the perfect mother

Telling stories before bed

Kissing their little head

Holding their hand

Introducing them to this new land

Their first day at school

Teaching those new rules

Under the crook of their arm

Giving them their teddy to protect them from harm

Buying their favourite character lunchbox

Trying not to laugh when for the first time put on their socks

Or struggling to pop fingers into gloves

Blanketing them with kisses

And lots of love

Granting them wishes

Forcing them to take music lessons

Teaching them language and counting their blessons

Sitting for hours until they do their homework

Finding energy even after a hard day

Hoping their pains will go away

Sitting up with them whilst they have their fever

Giving them a choice

But they choose neither

At their Christmas plays you show rejoice

Though their attempts of the ark angel

Find words rather choice

“Oh hell!”

I think I heard as a star fell?

Dragging me to a teacher

 Telling me to see to her

Red faced I confronted her

Protecting my child

Asking why he was put in the corner

Whilst she said he went wild

No I argued

You have the wrong lad

Oh yes she replied

I can assure you he went mad

Always there when he needed me

Cleaning and putting on a bandage

On a scuffed knee

Eating the cakes he made

Picking up the mess

Cleaning off the stain from my new dress

Covered in his paintwork

Putting on show his latest model he created

For weeks on my shelf paper tubes not wasted

Having to be convincing as I told how I loved it

Sitting there among my Royal Dolton

Sticky tape and colours so revolting

But to me I saw beauty

As it was lovingly made by my cutie

Now he is grown

And hatred is shown

Mistakes I made pushed in my face

I’m not perfect that is for sure

But neither are our kids

And parenting can’t be improved by a cure

Nor sealed in a jar with a tight lid

All we can do is our best

And try to do it better than the rest

No comments: